Twin Shock or Win Shock?

pjc

Here is a 340 from me. 262 cc with offset ground crank pin giving 2 mm longer stroke. Base engine was 303. Sadly taken from me by a snake with a handbag....

steeper head angle, 300 airbox, exhaust, silencer, keihin pwk 28, 300 forks, 300 frt brake. Longer shocks give a bit more ground clearance, the 300 shocks are also 12 mm longer if I remember.

Nice to ride....

IMG_1794.JPG

Edited by lee harris
  • Like 1

I am sorry to be a bit of a downer on all of this but it sounds like the twin shock class is going the same way as the pre 65's if your not careful the bikes will end up as mere caricatures of the memories.

I started out on a 70's Montesa in the 70's as a schoolboy and if you get a chance to read Sammy Millers bible of trials 'Clean to the finish' you will find we were encouraged to ride without the clutch just using throttle control to find grip.

The sections and riding techniques have changed so much that the bikes need to be modified to get round,  if you layout an easy trial to encourage the standard bikes you get moaned at by the trick riders, lastly if BSA made bantams like they do today Bultaco would never have come over here ! Have you ridden a standard 4 speed Sherpa ?

My last in period twin shock was a series 1 Beamish Suzuki (Silver Tank) a beautiful piece of kit, anyone know of a sensibly priced one up for grabs ? £3K on fleabay is a bit steep for me and yes I would keep it original.

• Like 1

If it's a problem, mark sections out for heavy bikes and give light bikes a handicap ... people would get over it.

From my point of view, I'm just not physically capable of handling a heavy bike, otherwise I'd be saving up for a Sherpa 'cause they look lush :) (and the left-foot rear brake and kickstart would be fantastic)

3 hours ago, lee harris said:

Here is a 340 from me. 262 cc with offset ground crank pin giving 2 mm longer stroke. Base engine was 303. Sadly taken from me by a snake with a handbag....

steeper head angle, 300 airbox, exhaust, silencer, keihin pwk 28, 300 forks, 300 frt brake. Longer shocks give a bit more ground clearance, the 300 shocks are also 12 mm longer if I remember.

Nice to ride....

IMG_1794.JPG

That's definitely a bitza, it's also got the 300 swingarm plus other 300 stuff like exhaust, airbox etc but housed in the 240 frame. I don't get it. The 300 frame is strong and doesn't have under engine frame rails, so what is the love affair with the 240 frame?

Whoever started this post/topic should be ashamed of himself, look what you have started!  In my opinion any of the twin shocks produced in the 2 years prior to their demise would be a good choice, but I do like the zippiness of a Fantic, it's the closest to a modern day bike if that's what one is looking for.

3 hours ago, fourex said:

That's definitely a bitza, it's also got the 300 swingarm plus other 300 stuff like exhaust, airbox etc but housed in the 240 frame. I don't get it. The 300 frame is strong and doesn't have under engine frame rails, so what is the love affair with the 240 frame?

It's lighter?  Also, well done for winning the prize for not reading the post you're quoting ;)

Nothing wrong with some friendly debate about this sort of thing, better than sitting on your hands!

• Like 1

Apologies, it was Friday arvo when I posted and possibly too many "xxxx" bitters had been consumed. So getting back to the frames, is the 240 frame a better option due to it's lighter weight ?

• Like 1

All mine have a 240 swingarm, for what its worth...

the 300 and 240 weigh about the same...

i have 300s also... i just dont like the shocks digging in to my inner thigh..especially when I fall off...

as the people says..you pays ur money and takes ur choice

On 18/05/2017 at 3:39 PM, pjc said:

Monts and Bultos had a romantic heft, which was actually shown to be old engineering and badly built in terms of weight when the Yams came along. Bultaco engines grunted, yet did very little else immediately. Open the throttle, get a cup of tea, eat your sandwiches then maybe, just maybe, the acceleration would kick in before the end of the trial. But gents, a third gear hillclimb with plenty of run up!!!!!!!

You have to be kidding...  have you ever picked up a TY250 engine, they're a massive lump. Frame is light but combined weight gives it the same overall weight as anything that was coming out of Spain. TY was bottom gear only, shut off on a hill in 2nd and it would just die if you tried to bring it back in. Maybe the 175 Bulto needed a run up but the 250 and 325 had no problem with hill climbs. A 325 has immediate throttle response, will lift the front in third from idle and will go up climbs from a standing start at the bottom

• Like 5