Beta Evo 250 2T, idle and hours meter

cam

Hi,

I'm new to trials and 2 strokes and I just got a brand new Beta Evo 250. Right now I'm trying to expand my knowledge regarding the bike setup and its maintenance to take good care of it. If possible, please help me with the following questions:

1. Should the trial bike start moving in 1st gear without any throttle applied, using just its idle speed? Or the idle speed should be adjusted to a value as low as possible without stalling the bike? The manual says this "connecting an electric revolution counter to the spark plug wire. Then use a screwdriver on register screw A to calibrate the minimum with 900÷1000 rpm. ". Do you know a good RPM device counter to measure that?

2. What is a good hour meter that could work with this bike?

I have never used 1st gear on a Beta, too easy to break loose and loose traction. I keep a high idle, especially during competition. Don't want to stall as i am all way's in 2nd or 3rd gear.

I never put on an hour meter, as the total hours might scare off potential sales when i go to re-sell it.

With a brand new bike i would suggest that you pull the swingarm off and apply a good quality grease to the swingarm bushings. Keep an eye on the steering head as well. Gently remove the outer seal cover and apply a good wheel bearing grease to the front and rear wheel bearings. There is never enough in there to begin with. Needless to say also redo the linkage bearings at the same time. Keep an eye on the slack and stay on top of it. Linkage bushings usually need to be done 2 or 3 times a year.

Buy an extra stock air filter, keep it ready to go, change it out as needed.

I run a high quality gearbox oil (Motul) and change it often, usually every fourth ride. Engine oil (85 - 1).

Teflon tape under the brake and clutch perches as your going to drop your first bike often. Keep them semi tight and they should move easily rather than break. I also run the aluminum end nobs, saves on grips and should save the throttle from pinning full open when you drop it on the right side.

Get a good bumbag, keep a few tools in it, spare brake and clutch lever. Try both the slow and fast throttle, keep the one spare in your bumbag. All way's carry an extra lire of premix with you on a trail ride, could make the difference from a long walk home in the dark.

Enjoy, other than the ****ty plastic fender's you have one of the most reliable bikes out there.

7 minutes ago, carlos said:

I have never used 1st gear on a Beta, too easy to break loose and loose traction. I keep a high idle, especially during competition. Don't want to stall as i am all way's in 2nd or 3rd gear.

I never put on an hour meter, as the total hours might scare off potential sales when i go to re-sell it.

With a brand new bike i would suggest that you pull the swingarm off and apply a good quality grease to the swingarm bushings. Keep an eye on the steering head as well. Gently remove the outer seal cover and apply a good wheel bearing grease to the front and rear wheel bearings. There is never enough in there to begin with. Needless to say also redo the linkage bearings at the same time. Keep an eye on the slack and stay on top of it. Linkage bushings usually need to be done 2 or 3 times a year.

Buy an extra stock air filter, keep it ready to go, change it out as needed.

I run a high quality gearbox oil (Motul) and change it often, usually every fourth ride. Engine oil (85 - 1).

Teflon tape under the brake and clutch perches as your going to drop your first bike often. Keep them semi tight and they should move easily rather than break. I also run the aluminum end nobs, saves on grips and should save the throttle from pinning full open when you drop it on the right side.

Get a good bumbag, keep a few tools in it, spare brake and clutch lever. Try both the slow and fast throttle, keep the one spare in your bumbag. All way's carry an extra lire of premix with you on a trail ride, could make the difference from a long walk home in the dark.

Enjoy, other than the ****ty plastic fender's you have one of the most reliable bikes out there.

Thank you for all those tips, Carlos!

I guess I'm gonna move the idle speed higher myself too. Tried today to do some tight turns on a slightly inclined surface. 1st gear is choppy, too abrupt. Tried 2nd gear, but since it tried to stall, I had to use throttle and clutch but I just couldn't make it at a slow-enough speed. When I had the idle speed high, I could do tight turns only with using the clutch in 1st gear, without using any throttle.

I wouldn't worry too much about precise tickover, just set it to what suits you once you have had a chance to get used to the bike.

I almost always used first on my Beta, but depended on section type as it could pull fourth if needed: it is very much a personal thing depending in riding style.