Polishing ali castings?

iconic558

On 6/1/2017 at 4:34 AM, lowbrow said:

That's a great job; the carb has been transformed!  What is it?

Technology Elevated Smartcarb.  My friend needed an original carb for the MAR he is restoring.  Knowing I did not want a restored bike, but rather a rider with minimal concerns with things like the fibreglass tank or metal fenders, many of the original parts from my bike were went into the parts bin for the restored bike.

Edited by pmk
Corrected from APT to Technology Elevated

Thanks, I'd never seen or even heard of an APT Smartcarb before.  I'm not intending to hijack your thread, but having done some research online I'm curious; is it good in a trials application?

2 hours ago, lowbrow said:

Thanks, I'd never seen or even heard of an APT Smartcarb before.  I'm not intending to hijack your thread, but having done some research online I'm curious; is it good in a trials application?

Correction, I posted it as an APT, when actually it is the newer company called Technolgy Elevated Smartcarb.  I am still getting the OSSA MAR fully completed.  My experience with the Smartcarb is minimal,  but so far very good.  I should get a real ride in hopefully in a couple of weeks.  Finishing a few items, mainly rebuilding the Curnutt rear shocks.

Maybe a new topic should be started, but overall, I beleive the topic of polishing parts has been well covered here already.

https://technologyelevatedco.com/

This carb style and size, 28mm, has been fitted to modern trials bikes with excellent results according to Technology Elevated.

Edited by pmk

1 hour ago, lowbrow said:

Thanks for the additional info'.  For the die hard trials bike 'fettler' the only problem would appear to be that you can't adjust it with the motor running, unless you're very brave!

Yes, correct, the only adjustment made while running is idle rpm.

As for other adjustments, upon initially running the engine, the carb was a bit rich.  So, I shut it down, held the throttle wide open, and turned the adjuster screw.  Took all of about 30 seconds max.  Refired the engine and checked.  No jets to swap at all.  Plus the carb, once set is supposedly able to self compensate for altitude changes.

Agree, there is no pilot air screw to turn while the engine is idling.

The bike does need a good run to verify the correct needle is installed, though Corey at Smartcarb was pretty confident it would be correct as he shipped it.

If nothing else, being made from billet aluminum, it does look good.

Edited by pmk

• 5 months later...

I think there are many different types of alloy used on motorcycles, I always used Brillo Pads on alloy mudguards, and 'sealed' the shine in with a rub over with a diesel soaked rag.    I have had a sign made up from aircraft grade Duralumin, it has remained shiney for over 25 years without even cleaning.   Some alloys, or Yamaha magnesium alloys, go dull after just a few weeks.  Whatever alloy they are using on Indian Enfields, tarnish after a few months.   Most early British engines (and pistons) were made of almost pure aluminium.