Cota 247C, front brake arm flexing....strange arm angle v cable

iconic558

Hi guys, my front brake still isn't as hard as I would like. I have noticed that my brake arm is at a poor angle to the where the cable meets it. The arm pulls up and flexes sideways due to this.

I also think my brake arm is delaminating and will get it to my welding friend to see if he can beef it up. Maybe bend to out to suit cable and weld plates to it?

It is bad angle normal?

First trial with the old bus tomorrow so more to follow.

Yes it looks wrong.

I'm thinking the cable holder should be on the inside of the mudguard mount and then when you straighten the brake arm, the cable will have a straight pull.

I have done as I just described with my Cota 348 which appears to have the same brake hub, arm and mudguard mounting arrangement, and it works very well

It does fit on the inside of the fork leg!

Well I measured the gap using my vernier and low and behold there was room.....just, to fit the cable retainer on the inside of the fork leg.

Angle is now perfect but had to take a nibble out of the mudguard for the cable.

That front brake arm is still bugging me though. It seems to be two pieces of tin spot welded in but two places and really needs beefing up. I can still see it flexing and it's super easy to bend.

Anyway cheers guys for the help on resolving this one :)

Edited by iconic558

• 4 months later...

• 1 month later...
On 23/05/2017 at 3:39 AM, iconic558 said:

It does fit on the inside of the fork leg!

Well I measured the gap using my vernier and low and behold there was room.....just, to fit the cable retainer on the inside of the fork leg.

Angle is now perfect but had to take a nibble out of the mudguard for the cable.

That front brake arm is still bugging me though. It seems to be two pieces of tin spot welded in but two places and really needs beefing up. I can still see it flexing and it's super easy to bend.

Anyway cheers guys for the help on resolving this one :)

Sounds like the typical brake arm, mine was made the same way and bent/twisted like yours when I got my bike. The cable retainer had been fitted wrong and the front wheel was in backwards, so plenty of angles were wrong. The brake arms seem strong enough when they are straightened out (takes some doing to get them right) and the cable angles are correct. If I find mine starting to twist under pressure with the angles correct, I'll make new brake arm/s as needed or find stronger alternatives.