Rear suspension

col149

Just got a beta evo 2012 250 factory, how do i go about setting up the rear suspension. I'm roughly 15.5 st and when on the bike there isn't a lot of travel on the suspension .is there a required length that the spring should be at and is there standard setting for the damper screw . Mine is screwed out so it's springy all the time but unsure if this correct .It's working ok and not bottoming out but I don't know where to start with it .

Generally what is reffered to as ride height or sag is how to verify the spring is right for you, some say 2 cm of sag some prefer none. Once you establish the spring is capable of supporting your weight etc you then set up damping which on O.E.M shocks is usually one adjustment for compression and extension. Most springs from from OEM or factory are suitable for 70 to 80 Kilo riders. Given that most of us are over that weight including myself you end up with a compromise by overdamping to help the spring under compression. Folk spend large amounts on aftermarket shock/spring assembies as a well set up "rear end" helps get better results. Not sure about beta shocks ,when I was riding Betas with OEM shocks the rear end was never better than OK. Why not ask Beta Importer  or dealer what is available for you. I don.t think you can specify springyness by length.

• Like 1

Its not so much the spring length that matters as the sag when you are on the bike. If you stand on the bike in the usual position the rear suspension should be compressed by about 1/3rd of its travel. Pull up on the bars and weight the foot rests as if you are going to go over an 18 inch step and the rear suspension should compress to about 1/2 its travel.

Get someone to film you riding typical sections. If the suspension bottoms more than occasionally the spring is too soff or maybe you need more compression damping.

• Like 1