Montesa 348 whats it worth

hoggyf

I've got the chance of a Montesa 348 which looks fairly original and all there, not sure yet if its a runner or not and the plastics are quite faded with age obviously but whats it worth? Guys wanting £1000, which to me seems strong dependant on it running or not. 

Worth around £2000 - £2500 done up and tidy??

Just musing about buying it as a project to tidy up, don't need a twinshock really

Plenty turn up on ebay running from £500.There was a mint  and unridden one in france went for £3500.

most of the crucial restoration bits are easily available but as someone said the costs mount up quickly up so it will never pay for itself.

Thing is that 348s haven't, in my experience, caught on in the current twinshock scene. Good as they were in their day, relatively speaking they're a bit of a tank to ride now. As such, putting money into doing one up to sell for a profit could end painfully.

If you do decide to buy it just spend enough to get it in decent condition to ride in trials yourself and enjoy it. IMO there are far too many old bikes being done up / lot of money spent and offered for sale rather than ridden by the restorer. I note quite a few Bultos have failed to reach their reserve on Ebay recently. Unless you are desperate to try to make some cash far better to leave them to someone who will actually ride them.

• Like 4