Sidewall puncture

cabby

no one should, you could, but i wouldn't want to

depends on how you might intend on fixing it, with say a car tyre and a car puncture repair, you drill out the puncture and then plug. This and/or the original puncture undermine (critically) the structural make up of the tyre.

in trials use at low PSI this may not lead to catastrophic tyre failure like in a car being used on the road, but does low pressure trial work lead to more stress - beyond my knowledge

check out the national tyre dealers association 3 page pdf on puncture repairs - http://www.btmauk.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Minor-repairs-to-passenger-car-and-light-van-tyres.pdf

Edited by rabie
reference

I practice on tyres with cracked sidewalls, using an inner tube. No issues with loss of integrity of the sidewall or from the tyre collapsing, so go for it if you can effect an airtight seal (or use a tube). Would be a shame to bin a near-new tyre.

Edited by cleanorbust

My tyre man refused to do it due to being a sidewall but allowed me to fit it while he just removed and fitted tyre....top man, sorted. 

Edited by cabby

In my experience with an off-road tire as long as its the tubeless option it isn't a problem to patch a side wall.  However because of the way the forces are applied just don't expect it to hold as long as a center puncture patch might.  

On that note, a trials bike and riding stile should give you the best chance to ride much longer than the average endure or MX bike might.  

Hope it holds well for you.  :thumbup:

8 hours ago, cabby said:

Somebody punctured illegally riding up glenshee at the weekend breagh, if I catch them I'll have their guts for garters :D

Quite right it's a national disgrace and while I'm on have you ever seen a hill walker smile?

Here's another one have you noticed that ever acre of sloping wood land now has a makeshift downhill MTB track on it.This envolves moving tons of soil cutting down trees and geneally depositing a wide selection of litter througout, Can hardly get the Ossa down some of them.