Which course do you ride?

How do you decide which course you should enter?

I entered the Novice (red in Kent) route for my first trial scoring in the low 100's for the 44 sections

The coarse was safe, do-able and to me challenging, but fun, so is being last a reason to drop down a class?

Edited by andy

If you find it doable, then stay in the Novice class.  Don't worry about the scores, just concentrate on riding as many sections as you can.

The thing to remember about the Novice class is that some club's Novice routes are a lot harder than other clubs Novice routes.  Also, it depends on if it is a Championship round, or not.  (Championship rounds Novice sections are often a lot more difficult than ordinary club meets).  Try the Novice route in as many different clubs as you can.

• Like 1

I agree with stpauls, if you found it doable, fun, and a challenge then score isn't an issue.  Do as many as you can and keep having fun, you will soon find that your score starts to get better and you will have even more fun! :thumbup:

down here the "novice" (ie red) route is shared by youth novice, over 50 clubman, twinshocks, pre65 and even sidecars - while other trials won't have these. an event without sidecars can lead to narrower gaps, and event without twinshocks and pre65 can have much tighter corners, steeper hills, etc

also as above the status of the event has a major bearing on the standard. at centre championship round, for example, the "novice" route will be significantly harder than a group or club event. when we (sidcup) run our centre round the red route is pitched as being as hard as the group level "inter b" (that ride a 66% red 33% blue route). when we run a wobbler trial the blue route is easier than then red route at a centre trial - because we are catering to the respective ability ranges entering.

more tellingly the conclusion you draw / ask - that because you finished last should you go down a class? - this is more telling of all trials. if the event was pitched at the right level and you are happy / can bear the score as a "new" novice then ride novice. the jump down to yellow (wobbler/beginer/sportsman etc can be a long way (ability wise). there are also some events without a yellow route (lack of entries, unsuitability of the land, etc). conversely the event could have been pitched wrong, endured worse weather, etc that means it isn't a great example of where you should be. other factors like the venue/terrain (some people don't get on with water, mud, roots, rocks, chalk, etc while others thrive) can greatly affect it.

• Like 1

You need to get that bike running as Fantic intended.;)

A slipping clutch that drags, with an action as heavy as the water at Telemark, an idle speed up and down like a hookers knickers, brakes that don't.....you could save an easy 30 marks there.B)

Personally I think ya just bragging, my first trials score looked more like the start of a darts game:P

Edited by iconic558
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies gents.

So, to me, it looks like I rode the right class that day for my skill level, but I need to be aware of how different clubs/events grade their sections + weather conditions.

Scores may go up (a little) or down but as long as it's still fun I'll keep going.

Oh Iconic, you forgot to mention the fouled plugs!

• Like 1

A good indication for me that I picked the correct class, is finishing with an Index (total points dropped / sections ridden) of .500 or less. If my Index is .75 to 1.0+, then it could still be the correct class for me, but perhaps the conditions deteriorated quickly or rain changed traction. If I get more than 2.0 points per section average, then I feel I was in too hard of a class and need to drop down a level, or practice more to improve.

I started Senior C in August 2015, felt pretty good and bumped up to Senior B in May 2016. Worked an event watching Senior Intermediate and thought their lines were within my abilities. Quickly found out that some locations have much harder Intermediate lines that others and got frustrated finishing in last place, so dropped back to SR-B and started having fun again. Decided to stick with SR-B for championship chase in 2017, with occasional attempts at Intermediate at out of region events, to pick up my skills a bit quicker.

Edited by wheelieman14
  • Like 1

It would be easier for me if Eastern and other sections used the same colours for routes....I did a trial at Cambridge and ended up getting so lost I rode over and stopped on the observers sandwiches.....got a five for that as it was 'no stop';)

In Eastern have from easy to hard orange....white...50/50...red and blue....red....yellow

I think:)

Edited by iconic558
  • Like 2

I usually ride the Novice route.  Here in the West Country the Novice routes can be marked White, Yellow or Red, depending on the club.  

What could possibly be confusing about that?

However, my pet hate are poorly MARKED out sections, where I can get a 5 by getting lost or missing a marker!  

• Like 1