trials bike mot.

can anyone tell me what is needed on a trial bike for the mot in the way of lights and horn i have a log book. but i have herd so many different stories im just confussed and dont know whats needed and whats not.thanks.

No reflector...... Just horn, number plate with the correct size lettering /spacing and that everthing works like wheel bearings, steering bearings and nothing leaks.  Directional tyres facing the right way.  Remove any lights.  The tester will just put no lights as an advisory note on the MOT.

Use an MOT tester that knows trials bikes by asking your local trials dealer / riders who they use....   Some MOT testers will just fail it as no seat or some other daft reason..........

A 9volt horn will do, Not a squeeze one..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M-Part-CP2200-Megahorn-Super-Loud-and-Effective-Electronic-Horn-/122455180531?hash=item1c82e5c4f3:g:CwQAAOSwopRYgecs

Thing is each tester has own views on things, some can't read the manual but will vary from place to place. Just keep them sweet unless they are total dickheads and go elsewhere.

Edited by gasserguy
  • Like 3

Well as someone who took their trials bike to get MOT'd recently and was told specifically by the tester to nip away and get a reflector, I'm gonna disagree with the two posters above on my own personal experience, though I had a small number plate. 

Edited by cabby

You also don't need a number plate, but if one is fitted it must be legit.

Horns must be single tone so battery ones are no good.

However the most important thing is each tester ignores different bits of the manual, so it's best to give them a call. (My usual bike place insists on a brake light so I take the trials bike elsewhere)

I think you will find (in the manual) that only unregistered bikes are exempt from displaying a (correct) numberplate. A battery horn that emits a constant,continuous,uniform and audiable note cannot be failed unless considered harsh or grating...........

My advice - read the book and challenge the tester and or appeal the test if necessary.

3 hours ago, cabby said:

Well as someone who took their trials bike to get MOT'd recently and was told specifically by the tester to nip away and get a reflector, I'm gonna disagree with the two posters above on my own personal experience, though I had a small number plate. 

The bike only requires a reflector if it has lights fitted. If no lights then no reflector needed. The tester must note the absence of lights as an advisor. It is the wording in the manual that often leads to confusion on this point.

The following is posted with the benefit of studying the MOT manual and discussing points with a experienced MOT tester who in some of the instances has had extra clarification from VOSA. The tester tests a large number of kit cars, quads, classic vehicles and on and off road motorcycles, trikes and sidecars.

The bike only requires a reflector if it has lights fitted. If no lights then no reflector needed. The tester must note the absence of lights as an advisor. It is the wording in the manual that often leads to confusion on this point.

A speedometer and or odometer need not be fitted however their absence must be noted as an advisor

A number plate must be fitted and the bike must have a clear frame / VIN No that matches the DVLA records. Most testers will allow plates that do not strictly comply with the requirements so long as they are readable from 15 meters behind the bike.

The tester can refuse to test the motorcycle if he considers the chain guard missing or inadequate.

The horn must emit a continuous tone. This means bulb horns are not suitable. The horn must therefore be electric or compressed air. The tone must be continuous (this is a subjective judgement on the part of the tester). Some modulation or variation of the tone is usually permitted but something that is clearly 2 tone or significantly modulated like and emergency services horn will fail.

Tyre rotation indicators must point in the correct direction.

Tyre wording such as: not for highway service, not for highway use, not for road use etc. The onus is on the person presenting the bike for MOT to prove that this wording does not apply to the UK. My testers advice is to buff off this wording prior to presenting the bike. 

The MOT manual is quite a long document. There are sections in it that require subjective judgements and that means having appropriate knowledge. A quick fit type MOT tester is not the place to take a trials bike.

As Gasserguy posts its best to find a tester who knows what they are looking at.

Edited by dadof2