Clutch Hand Issues

Hi all,

I know alot of these types of problems have been discussed but not seen any about this particular issue. Been riding for a few years and just getting back into it after a bit of a break. As long as i can remember i have always struggled with pain/cramps in my clutch hand after a couple of laps of sections. Hand obviously just gets tired and then becomes really weak usually meaning i struggle to pull the clutch in! Gets sore around my wrist and just feels like theres no strength in the hand at all. Any ideas what the problem is ? Or a solution? Other than manning up... :)

Cheers

Besides making you stronger, there is much that can be done with bike set up. The more leverage you get is better so move the M/C inward. Better to grip the lever with the middle knuckle of your finger. So adjust it. A thinner blade lever like the S3 Digit. You could find lighter clutch springs or make them yourself. (Do not remove two clutch springs as some suggest. It does not work.)

You can do so many different things, first up would be don't use or reduce the use of the clutch. Pretty much impossible but still  an option.

Excercise and nutrition. Excercise for obvious reasons but the nutrition side gets overlooked. Most of us don't really watch what we eat and tend to have a very high base acidic level. Too much red meat and plonk. If you don't want too start saying no to things, try taking natron. Simply mix it in water and add it to your daily intake. Helped me a lot.

Last option, improve the mechanical side of things. Loads of ways and things to try from levers, cables, servos, etc. Lots of pickin and fussin about.

Last option which will work 100% but cost a lot is one of these systems, http://www.clake.com.au/

Good luck with whatever rout/s you choose.

• Like 1

I use to get cramp in the wrist and lose strength in both arm and hand. I did not change diet did not do any super exercise, I just realised that I did not relax enough. It did miracle for me.

Guy

• Like 2

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:44 AM, brownie001 said:

You can do so many different things, first up would be don't use or reduce the use of the clutch. Pretty much impossible but still  an option.

Excercise and nutrition. Excercise for obvious reasons but the nutrition side gets overlooked. Most of us don't really watch what we eat and tend to have a very high base acidic level. Too much red meat and plonk. If you don't want too start saying no to things, try taking natron. Simply mix it in water and add it to your daily intake. Helped me a lot.

Last option, improve the mechanical side of things. Loads of ways and things to try from levers, cables, servos, etc. Lots of pickin and fussin about.

Last option which will work 100% but cost a lot is one of these systems, http://www.clake.com.au/

Good luck with whatever rout/s you choose.

this maybe a stupid reply, but what is "natron" ?

As stated above, I would start with bike setup first, this will give you the best starting point.  After your bike is as good as it can get for you the adjustment from there with things like the Clake or modification of springs.  

I would also agreed with nutrition and exercise, with other supplements as well.  They are helping me for sure.  

Any extreme change, weather bike or self should be looked at with scrutiny before consideration.

My 2 cents, hope it helps. :thumbup:

As you don't report similar problems with your right hand which has to operate both the brake and throttle I would consider what regular exercise you have been giving your right hand and try taking turns at that with your left instead.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I suffer from this and it always happens when I change bikes.

Until I get the bar height right, my left hand and wrist almost cripple me.

It's often due to the bars being just too low and that throws my weight too much forward and down my arms/wrists.

Throw in the all the clutch action and my left hand and wrist soon start to complain.

It usually doesn't take much of a rise of the bars to sort it out, 4 or 5mm rise usually works for me.

There are some easy things you can do to strengthen your wrists.

Those grip things won't work much on the wrists, though they do work the fingers.

You need one of those rubber bands (that physio's use), available in sports and fitness shops, start with a low resistance band first.

Hold your hand/wrist flat on a desk/table, wrap the band around your fingers and hold the ends of the band in your other hand.

Work your hand/fingers side to side (not up and down), keeping your arm still while you pull against the resistance of the band.

You can swap it around, turn the band and work the wrist the other way, though it's best to tie up the ends on something this way.

Do around three sets of ten a day, or until it just starts to ache a little (not a lot) you'll feel it pull and work the part of the wrist that causes your issue.

It'll work and strengthen those tendons and muscles right in the lower forearm/wrist, my physio taught me this and he rides downhill mountain bikes, works a treat!

Edited by goudrons

• 2 weeks later...