Cota 247C with 2 clutch springs removed...hmmm sooo light

iconic558

Wow, so much lighter. 

It wasn't too bad before, compared to some, smooth but my wimpy hand was getting real tired after the last trial, almost couldn't work the clutch it ached so much. It was a real tight trial needing lots of clutch....and being a new to me bike, I was using far too much anyway.

Downside....she can be made to slip in 4/5th if you try by dropping clutch with revs up dragging rear brake....but my springs look like the originals so maybe tired?

I can live with a that as I don't ride sections in 4th or 5th.

Running ATF too and clutch isn't as grabby but will run 10/40 as an ABA test.

Edited by iconic558

Hi, everyone who has tried my SWM TL320 has always complained about how heavy the clutch is. I don't cause I hardly use it. That said, the sections are being pegged out tighter and tighter so I thought I try something out.

I removed 3 of the springs. The clutch is nice and light and only slips in the top 3 gears if you provoke it. I have sintered plates installed and they make the clutch a bit of an on/of switch. I can't get used to using it at all if at all. If the turns are so tight I take a dab and don't eff it up completely.

I watch loads of bods using the clutch and most of them get into more trouble using it than not. They pull it in and loose momentum and instead of just rolling round the obstacle have to dab anyway or are fighting for balance after letting the clutch out too far and lurching forward.

As far as two stroke running backwards, they all can if the timing is not spot on.

Bond three wheelers with Villiers engines used this to advantage. If you wanted to reverse, you jumped out, opened the bonnet, moved the lever to adjust the timing, put your leg in the enginebay, kicked the engine into life, jumped back in and had 3 or 4 reverse gears. Terrifying when you think of it nowdays. Those things were orrible to drive in any direction!

• Like 2

You must of seen me ride:)

My SWM has a really light clutch..it's an early one too without the additional lever under the tank. All springs fitted. Standard plates.

Runs new cable biggest difference was using the correct Domino perches and levers. Actuator arm has been lengthened 10mm.

Edited by iconic558

• 1 month later...

Scratch the ATF....in this hot weather and a long trial the ATF is getting too hot. 

My bike when hot has a noise as the clutch plates go finally fully home...sort of a rattley grrrup noise which is worse on ATF. Using OE all metal sintered plates.

Using 10/40 engine now and seems better.

PS anti rattle springs in place.

Edited by iconic558

Scratch the ATF....in this hot weather and a long trial the ATF is getting too hot. 

My bike when hot has a noise as the clutch plates go finally fully home...sort of a rattley grrrup noise which is worse on ATF

Using 10/40 engine now and seems better.

PS anti rattle springs in place.

Edited by iconic558

Soooooo glad I did the clutch spring mod', when we run the modern mono's the sections around there are getting so tight it's really tough for twin shocks - well it is with my limited ability:P), you simply can't 'ride' the sections without a lot of clutch work at some point, or ya looking at fives.

Saying that I may lower my gearing, she's on OE gearing and this seems a tad fast?

My Speedy has been lower to the point whereby 1st is almost redundant but great for the tight 'n tough stuff, and I can change gear in the section without getting a box full of neutrals.