Montesa 300RR

motoxleo

Coming I promise... had a delay with the check... I forgot to have the bank send it overnight so I get the bike tomorrow.  

Ye it was crazy of me to not make sure it was being sent out correctly... lol:hl:

Short first ride report.  

After about 30 min on the bike it isn't as different as I expected it to be from my 07 4RT.  This might be do to the fact that I had my 07's rear shock re-valved with lighter oil and am also running the lighter oil in the front forks as well.  But a bit more back to back riding and I suspect I will be able to start seeing the differences.  

Now what I can say so far... Where the re-work on my 07 is great the suspension is a little nicer on drops with the 300RR, though I do thing a few adjustments on the clickers and a little more pre-load on the front of the 07 and it would be closer to the 300 though I suspect I will still like the 300's more over all.  The brakes have more bite and I suspect I will like this even more when I take it out for its first real trials ride over some larger obstacles.  As for power; its hard to say yet and am sure I will need to get it out for a more aggressive ride before I can really comment on this.  

Love the way it looks! 

• Like 3

Find an off-camber slope loose turn. One where you go down a slope, make a tight 180 degree turn while on the slope, and go back up. With rolling rocks and other annoyances to mess with.

I found the newer 4RTs are much better at this. On my older bike, it was a challenge just to keep the front tire from pushing coming out of the bottom. On the new bike, there's not only much less tendency to push, but I can precisely steer around or use rocks as I choose while coming around to the uphill portion.

• Like 1

With the suspension update to my 07 it doesn't push nearly as much as it did before.  It was a truly revolutionary upgrade.  

Where It dose still have its moments everyone who has been on it has indicated how much different it is over other 4RT's they have been on.  

Though I haven't had what I would call a proper ride on the 300 yet I still suspect it's got the upper hand in most things and in the end I am already loving it!  

Interested to know how if the 300 maintains traction as well as the 260 on super slippery rocks or trees? Also how long does the fuel last?

....remember you owners of 300RR, pictures or it did not happen ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2017 at 9:24 AM, jonnyc21 said:

With the suspension update to my 07 it doesn't push nearly as much as it did before.  It was a truly revolutionary upgrade.  

Where It dose still have its moments everyone who has been on it has indicated how much different it is over other 4RT's they have been on.  

Though I haven't had what I would call a proper ride on the 300 yet I still suspect it's got the upper hand in most things and in the end I am already loving it!  

I believe I know part of why my 300 seems so much more like my 07... it has a black throttle tube.  After finding this out when doing some adjustments last night I seem to remember reading a post about it someplace... (might even be this thread)

So not sure who else has switched it to a fast(white) tube but I had a spare so will give a ride report soon on how it changes things.  

Ok, I am glad I switched it over to the fast tube.  After riding my 07 4RT for years with the quick throttle I can say that my brain sure expected it and was the largest cause of the 300RR feeling so much like my 07.

I will try and remember to post of a better review of the 300 once I have had a bit more time on it with the fast throttle tube.

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...

went to observer at an easy trial run by my club today. Got a  chance to play on some muddy banks and cambers at the end when sections had cut up the most.

On a couple of section around trees cambers and climbs etc the bike riders like the 260 - a little more planted and stable but grips well when riding like a normal 4rt. The softer power at the bottom end helps with the slow stuff.

One section which appears to have been one of the hardest had some deep mud and climbs and cambers and was well snotty when I got to it at the end of the trial.

The 300 was fine on this going in 2nd and 3rd but also in 4th - previous 4rts have always struggled pulling 4th unless big climbs or very deep fast bogs. The RR can be ridden in 4th almost as easily as you can ride in 3rd. 4th can be ridden of the throttle from low speed and also hang off the back across the cambers having rolled the throttle off - not sure if this is the clutch, the torque of the motor , revised internal gearing but definitely something new for the 4rt tool box.

In the mud I still favoured the full power map as I like to get the bike wound up and digging in for grip - some smoother riders may prefer the softer map. With the PTB you can always add any map that suits your style.

Edited by jimmyl
  • Like 4