They should be disqualified for this!

guys

Minders have been doing that for some time. Anyone who has ridden a northern trial at the front will have rubbed the slime off a rock with their foot at some point so I don't see that squirting water is much different,  it's less of an impact than moving rocks or filling holes in.

Issue for me with this is that the minder is doing it not the rider. 

I can almost see the adverts by leading aftermarket suppliers for a Honda inspired new slimline trials friendly rucksack.

Fitted with twin 6v pumps, billet anodised trigger grip and adjustable pattern spray, for a guaranteed jet blasting grippy rock surface.

Your choice of tubing colours optional....

• Like 7

Not the most blatant example caught on video either, there is 1 where Bou backs up right beside the observer with a foot down then his minder is further along the section emptying the whole bottle onto a couple of rocks. Looked to still get given a clean 

I'd be happy if they'd kicked those rocks away before my turn.

At one of the world rounds held near Penrith a few years back, same thing was going on, dry rocks and riders/helpers were pouring water on. How does it help? 

That's nowt,

mart would dig the footings.

Dave Thorpe the block work and Malcolm would lay the patio slabs when walking the section in there heyday.

They carried on this skill as minders - I've seen Malcolm brushing dust of rocks with his gloves for graham when they were blitzing the British scene.

Ok, maybe I overreacted a bit, but I was shocked by the blatant audacity.

But I think when people are so upset when the no-stop rule isn't implemented 100%, this should also not be tolerated.

To me this is part of trials, and i kind of hope it always will be. Thats the benefit of riding something last, and being able to slightly modify the section to suit a different line. If everyone rode the same line and conditions it would be boring. I must stress "slightly" though nobody wants heavy modification, and to me washing a rock with some water is ok, but not ok that its the minder!!!! Id much rather see this than Toni riding up a section, stopping for good 3 seconds and coming away with a clean, which he does on a regular basis

Edited by faussy

I think that the rider having a bit of a kick about and scrub the rocks is completely different to the minder dousing the rocks with water to increase the grip. The minder was quite clever and did it as Toni was actually riding the section too so obviously the observers were all watching him ride.

I have noticed a few comments regarding that he reverses right next to the observer - well he isn't actually in the section as all sections at world rounds have a corridor so that you can have a proper go at the section without anybody being in the way. The starts cards are stapled to the 2 stakes which can be seen if you look closely.

It should have been a 5 all day long anyway as he stops for ages when he has his front wheel on the last rock. I would have no hesitation to 5 him as he can ride non stop and clearly chose not to as he knew he could get away with it due to it being a hard section.