They should be disqualified for this!

guys

Wonder what would be said if the minder of a rider who had already ridden the section squirted some oil or diesel onto the rocks! That would be fun.

Several years ago I was watching an easy / beginners trial. A lad on his first or second trial kicked a rock off a camber that had just rolled there from the previous rider. The CoC (who was also competing) saw him and gave him a right berating. Later that day I saw the CoC and his friend moving rock after rock in another section as they prepared to ride it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, shakennstirred said:

Personally Minder/helpers should be banned, Its meant to be you and the bike against the sections.

Though I agree, the benefit of having a "catcher" is a necessity at this level. How far a minder goes in "aiding" the rider during riding the section is ( has done for years ) often cheating. But if they can get away with it why not? Its up to the governing body to impose stricter rules if they feel its required.

As for the "non stop" rule, well this is a joke and it seems the higher ranking you are the more stopping you are allowed! I guess Bou gets away with it more so if he "cleans" a section that other riders have failed to negotiate, a big cheer from the crowd and the observer may feel obliged to show some discretion regarding momentarily stops.

There is an observer at my local club who shows no tolerance for stopping if its no stop rules. He is consistent with all riders regardless of who they are! I have watched many riders make a great effort to attempt a clean but momentarily stopping, rewarded with a 5 by this observer. In fact I 've been on the receiving end myself, its very frustrating, but I broke the rules. Its well known now that this observer regardless of protest will give you a 5 if you stop at any point. Everyone knows this now so they make sure that they ride continuous else face the consequences.   

• Like 2

I never knew this. Is this too extreme the other way??

""" Things were looking good for Bristow to take the double victory, right up until the tenth section of her second lap where she was penalised five marks for walking the section, a practice which is not permitted in the European Championship. .""""

11 hours ago, dav cc said:

But if they can get away with it why not? Its up to the governing body to impose stricter rules if they feel its required.

As for the "non stop" rule, well this is a joke and it seems the higher ranking you are the more stopping you are allowed! I guess Bou gets away with it more so if he "cleans" a section that other riders have failed to negotiate, a big cheer from the crowd and the observer may feel obliged to show some discretion regarding momentarily stops.

Governing bodies may make the rules, but it is unpaid amateurs are expected to enforce them. Professional riders /teams should respect this and not take the urine.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, faussy said:

I never knew this. Is this too extreme the other way??

""" Things were looking good for Bristow to take the double victory, right up until the tenth section of her second lap where she was penalised five marks for walking the section, a practice which is not permitted in the European Championship. .""""

A very common rule, in fact the world round rule is the same as the riders are allowed to review and walk the sections the day before the event and even the minders have to be given permission to be in the sections on the day of the event.  

When I scored in `13 it was the rule, but watching recent videos it must have changed again. I`ll be scoring the USA round in July. All this discussion about minders and the pauses will be interesting to see how FIM wants the scorers to interpret the rule. 

• Like 1