TXT 250 98 Oil Change and other issues

bigpie

Hi,

I entered my first trial last night and it seemed like the clutch was dragging, so much so that I had to either have it in neutral or keep the revs up to prevent it stalling.

So I was going to change the gear oil to see if that helps the clutch, but I'm not sure what oil to buy. I think this is the filler hole? I also seem to have exhaust gasses leaking out of the connection in the photo, is there some gasket that should go there to prevent this?

It also cut out and I couldn't kick it up again after 1 lap, but it started easy again today. I used a 50:1 ratio with Castrol power 1 fully synthetic 2 stroke oil, have I mixed too much oil.

I've also drilled off the rivets to repack the exhaust, as it was rather loud, there wasn't much left in there.

I cannot find an owners manual online.

Thanks

IMG_20170601_115629.jpg

I have a 97 jtx 250, the first job i did with mine was to change the clutch fluid,  mine takes dot 4 brake fluid and then check the adjustment on the lever if your not sure how to do this go on to you tube and search jim snell gas gas video channel. I also run 650 ml of mineral gear oil MTF 94 i think it is. And it also made a big difference on how the clutch behaves.

I also run my  pre mix at 70ml per 5 liters of fuel. It would also help if you cleaned out the exhaust center box while its leaking and seal the joints hi temp copper based silicone sealant  and make sure the o rings are in good shape.  Hope this helps some what.

I've got some new o rings coming, some new packing for the exhaust. Does the centre section have the wadding material in there too?

When people say 10/30 oil, do they mean normal 4 stroke oil? 

I'll put fresh fluid in the clutch and adjust, along with 650ml of fresh oil.

Bike had been stood in a garage for 2/3 year when I acquired it a couple of weeks ago.