Cota 242 throttle needle play

stefan_s

Hi!

The needle in the throttle seems to loose to me, but maybe it should be like this?

The needle play sideways is around 2 mm in the throttle seat, up and down seems ok but the sideway movement looks to much, I never seen such much play on any other needle/throttle combination before.

To me it looks like the hole in the throttle is to big, maybe someone previous owner put in wrong needle?

Should it be like this or is something wrong here?

Any help appreciated:)

Edit: It is the original Amal carb.

Edit 2: Should the air filter be oil filled or is it a dry filter?

Edited by stefan_s

Sounds too loose, but they are usually able to rock a bit in AMALs. What markings are on the needle?

If it's a foam filter, it should be oiled. If it's a dry paper element, it should be dry. They normally have a foam filter element

The needle is normally held in a hole in the throttle slide. I figure that's what you mean by throttle seat.

Edited by feetupfun
improved answer

Check your slide, sadly AMAL uses the same material for the carb body and the slide which results and wear so the slide starts rattling around in the carb and if the slide rattles the needle will do it too. In the end or very soon you have a worn slide and needle and needle jet.

There are two fixes to that problem:

- a chromed slide for the AMAL or

- a different carb.

As non of the mentioned fixes are cheap I' am using a Dell'Orto PHBH CS in my 242 with great performance increase.
Finally I can now adjust the carb and it really has an effect to the engine, also the fuel consumption is lowered.

sw5rvqYvBEQKYXQGdcE4au2yh5dv_3AhvjQcr4yf

23 hours ago, stefan_s said:

Hi!

The needle in the throttle seems to loose to me, but maybe it should be like this?

The needle play sideways is around 2 mm in the throttle seat, up and down seems ok but the sideway movement looks to much, I never seen such much play on any other needle/throttle combination before.

To me it looks like the hole in the throttle is to big, maybe someone previous owner put in wrong needle?

Should it be like this or is something wrong here?

Any help appreciated:)

Edit: It is the original Amal carb.

Edit 2: Should the air filter be oil filled or is it a dry filter?

Does not seem a problem, the clip holds the needle, not the slide.The centre hole needs to be big enough for the cable, with its nipple, to pass through. If the carb is worn out, that is a different issue.

Thanks for reply's.

I will check the markings on needle.

I will check the wear on the slide and body.

I have just started it once, but it only run on full choke, if I close choke or open throttle it stalled.

Its a foam air filter, so oil it is, but the original filter box is gone .

pschrauber, Interesting to hear about the Dell'Orto, does it work well tho whole range, from top to bottom.

51 minutes ago, feetupfun said:

http://amalcarb.co.uk/mk-ii-concentric-series/2600-series/needles.html

sounds like the markings for an AMAL needle

This link should take you to parts listings for MK2 AMAL concentrics so you can look to see what needle your carby would normally have

Thanks for the link :)

Got spark again after changing to new plug.

Was able to take it for a small run but carb is flooding so i need to sort that.

20 hours ago, pschrauber said:

Before you replace all bit's look up the overall costs and compare with other possibilities.

If I go the Dell'Orto way like you did, what size nozzles and needle do you use?

And is there any guide around how to setup the Dell'Orto PHBH CS?

Regards

Stefan