Jetting 2017 250

Markws80

Hi all 

just got my self a new txt250 2017 

it seems hard to start any tips to start it 

what about the jetting on it will it need changing I am at sea level (in U.K.)

+any other tips would be appreciated 

mark 

Every gas gas I have had takes 3 kicks to start hot or cold. Jetting normally ok but at sea level it may pink a little about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. If it does then  a number 3 slide will cure it but they are about £60. Most people just put up with it.

Edited by baldilocks

20 hours ago, baldilocks said:

Every gas gas I have had takes 3 kicks to start hot or cold. Jetting normally ok but at sea level it may pink a little about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. If it does then  a number 3 slide will cure it but they are about £60. Most people just put up with it.

What will the number 3 slide do ?

It is hard to start just thinking there is a  technique 

or jetting or timing is out 

Edited by Markws80

Number 3 slide is richer ( more fuel / less air )  than a 3.5 which is the standard slide.

Kicking may well be a technique issue,  get the kickstart to the top of the stroke and kick it quite hard.

All I'm saying is it was always three kicks so don't expect much better than that

1 hour ago, oni nou said:

If your bike is new it is unlikely that your jetting or timing is out.Call GasGas UK and ask to speak to Factory Kev... he sets up the the top British riders bikes and knows more about the bikes than any one on here.......I imagine you need to change the jetting, timing and re-port the cylinder plus polish the ports, with a new reed block and carb and squish band machining.

GasGas pro is known to be not an easy starting bike....a lot of owners say the same

Technique= Choke on..no throttle....fast kick.

So do you want us all to stop replying to questions in future as in your view we don't know as much as a Gas Gas Mechanic ? 

It's an Internet forum, owners and riders share their experiences. Nobody's saying you have to take anyone's advice but it's a bit strong to imply the poster should disregard people who take the time to answer his question.

Edited by baldilocks

I went through the same pain with my sons bike, gas gas pro 125 I could start it ( not first kick ) he could not easily, excellent bike in superb condition, just hard to start, bit the bullet and bought Sherco 125 which starts first time.

Whilst it is definitely a matter of technique, Gas Gas are clearly not the easiest bikes to start.

Ironically the gas gas was previously owned and maintained by factory Kev, it was his Sons bike.

6 hours ago, baldilocks said:

Yes call gas gas uk and ask to speak to factory kev. They'll put you on to someone else as factory kev left in April to go self employed.....

Look up Kev Hipwell on Facebook. 

That says an awful lot indeed., after all these years.

Thanks I just wondered if anyone had a 2017 250 whose play with jetting and got a good setting 

I done a trial today and I think I've got the hang of starting it  

There seem to be a bit of  pinking 

Edited by Markws80