Oil on shift shaft?

heffergm

Anyone else getting a lot of what seems like oil around the shifter? It almost looks like the countershaft seal is leaking, but I haven't confirmed the source yet. Another vertigo here shows the same thing. 

Let me know what you find... all the Vertigo's I've seen with any hours on them have the same mess there (depending on how often they're getting cleaned). I suspect it's all the same source, so I'm curious what you can find. I'll take a look at mine as well. I also have a theory that it might be fuel, since I seem to be getting a lot of that out the cap, but again, need to take a better look.

Behind the sprocket is a sleeve that rides in the oil seal. At the inner end of the sleevel is a 25 x 1.5 O ring. Similar arrangement to Ossa and GG. It may be that the O ring has been damaged during assembly, it is quite easy to do and also very easy to get at as the sleeve pulls out after the sprocket has been removed. Worth a look.

Bye, Peter B.

Yes, the spacer/sleeve is a slide fit on the output shaft and will only be tight against the seal. The O ring is behind there. The sleeve should be able to be pulled off with pliers. It is P/N V-0309, output shaft sleeve. Sorry, I can't load the drawing, it's a PDF file.

Bye, Peter B.

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...

I think Peter's suggestion is the O-ring that seals the shaft to spacer my need replacement. Not sure how that is to do. I would imagine pull the spacer then remove O-ring with something like a dental pick then cover splines with tape to protect O-ring and slip on new O-ring, remove tape, make sure spacer end that seals against O-ring is smooth, throw in spacer and sprocket.

I think the Vertigo uses transmission oil to lube the clutch side main bearing. Therefore it is important to maintain correct level of clean gearbox oils. Main bearings are not tolerant of dirty or insufficient lubrication. Main bearings are being worked hardest up hills or during acceleration, which are the same conditions that move oil to the back of the transmission, away from the maim bearing.

When the oil seal was replaced, was the sleeve removed and a new O ring fitted behind there? After working many years on GG and Ossa bikes with the same sealing arrangement, the oil seal was never a leak path problem, always the O ring/s behind the sleeve.

There is another possible leak area if oil is not passing from this area, have you checked the gear position sensor housing and the primary shaft cover, just above.

Bye, Peter B.

• 8 months later...

Mine started weeping two weeks ago (first issue with the Vertigo). The advice above was spot on: the primary shaft cover was the culprit. Removed and cleaned the parts and reassembled with some Hylomar blue. Still good after three rides. 

• 1 year later...

Mine has recently started weeping from the primary shaft cover. I bought the bike second hand and it looks like this has happened before and 'repaired' with silicone. The only problem is, the previous owner/who ever did the job was a bit rough when putting the bottom screw back in and stripped the threads. I cannot get any purchase to tighten it at all so its gone from a slight weep of oil to full blown leak. I have also noticed the the hole has been elongated slightly too.

Any suggestions on a repair? Will a thread insert work or is the hole too small? Anyone used Loctite Form-A-Thread? 

I will upload a picture later on.