Transmission oil change

manwithtool

This is going to  sound a bit silly but worth checking.  We've done a few hours on the bike so time for it's first oil change.  Now the manual says to use Dexroon III which I take to mean Dextron III, no issues there.  got some in the garage.  Drained and refilled 350cc by the gear change lever as per the manual.  Now whats confusing me is that there appears to be a separate fill and drain on the other side.  

any ideas what these are for ?

Actually my sons bike but Dad does the maintenance of course !

I liked the look of the TRS first time I saw one. Having seen JS videos I am to use Jim's words' impressed. Thick weldable aluminium castings, simple and easy to work on, good sized bearings etc.

• Like 1

I watched the vid last night and I think the answer to my question is that it is one gearbox/clutch with One filler and two drains and a level plug.  I assume I'm ok with Dextron 3 as Jim's casings were all red inside and the stuff that came out of my bike was blue/green which I assume is Nils oil ?

The other drain appears to be the gearbox "in dent" (not sure that's the right term) so basically a spring with a ball bearing at the end. 

Good videos though, I'll watch them all a bit later.  certainly seems like a nice bike to work on. I will probably attack those rear suspension bearings next.

Encouraging to hear Jim say that the bearings had plenty of grease in them, My Evo had headstock bearings that looked like that had been on the sea bed after only 15 months...ok I should have greased them in that time but still !! 

• 2 weeks later...

Just because the oil is red do not assume it is ATF / Dexron III. MT75 a manual gearbox lubricant is often the same red and only slightly more viscous. I would double check that you should use ATF in the TRS as MT75 is a light gearbox lubricant. If MT75 is specified, ATf Dexron 3 is usually not a suitable alternative.

I went to a shop and asked for ATF Dexron 3 and they sold me a bottle with ATF Dexron 3 written on it. Happy to  re state Dexron 3 works well. I might try the NILS trials clutch specific stuff next time I need to buy oil to see if it's any different but there's no real problem to solve.

I was simply pointing out that other oils could look like Dexron III ATF, following the comment on the oil colour in Jim Snells video.

On 2017-6-16 at 1:23 PM, oni nou said:

Why would any person/the factory choose

With regard to individual persons rather than factories I have seen some pretty expensive equipment wrecked by supposedly competent persons substituting lubricants with incorrect alternatives. Regarding trial bikes I am near certain quite a few riders did their gearboxes no good by using pre Dexron III grades of ATF.

• 1 month later...

• 1 year later...