Trials Carrier - Covers

glebe1875

Hi Guys

I've recently started transporting my bike about on the back of the motor using one of the following types of carriers (attached).

As I live in Edinburgh I am extremely conscious about bike theft, my garage has already been attempted a few times over past year and I hate the idea of someone following me.  Does anyone know of any good covers that can be purchased to help hide what I am carrying?

All help/pointers appreciated.

carrier.jpg

No matter what you cover it with it will still obviously be a bike to the eyes you want to hide it from - have you ever seen anything else carried behind a car on such a rack as that?  The bars are rather hard to disguise.

You do right to be concerned - many years ago I obtained a tarpaulin and had a sailmaker make it in to covers for the bike and front wheel to protect against salt spray on the trailer, you could do similar.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

I agree using a cover with a bike rack is fairly obvious what's underneath and unless you tie it down well the wind lifts it up at speed, may work better if you get one made to size.

I have a similar problem I've got a trailer and rack, my works van gone back. I was thinking of buying a covered trailer which would be cheaper than running a van and car.

A decent chain through the frame not the wheels (you can get a security chain through the frame just behind the front sprocket and above the chain on a 4rt) and a ground anchor bolted to the garage floor would be a good investment. 

Thanks for the replies.

I agree its probably going to be pretty obvious but just thinking anything that can disguise exactly what it is can only be a positive.

Edinburgh is a farking nightmare for all things bike theft just now and police doing nothing to protect.  Sad times.

9 hours ago, ourian said:

A decent chain through the frame not the wheels (you can get a security chain through the frame just behind the front sprocket and above the chain on a 4rt) and a ground anchor bolted to the garage floor would be a good investment. 

Dont rely on a chain through the frame a 18v cordless grinder with a 1mm disc will go through the very best chain you can buy like butter, spend your time and money on beefing up your shed security i.e. Metal door and bars etc

Mmm, if you live near any nearby cal-de-sacs or dead ends, drive down one of those, turn around, and wait for just a minute before going home.  That way you can see if anybodies following.

Obfuscation is the best protection - if they don't know where it is, they can't steal it.  Other measures are just to slow them down.

One last thing - if you put a cover on the bike, just remember that it's going to have much greater wind resistance at speed, so strap it down accordingly!