Chain

Okie dokie

In the process of doing up a bultaco Sherpa 159. 1976 year. Put new sprockets and chain. Chain seems to be rubbing on top of frame/ swing arm. How can I get round this. Also what order does back wheel spindle washes and spacers go. Took them off in order but got jumbled up in garage. From left to right would be good. Cheers in advance.

just had a look at mine (there was never a slider as std) chain has been touching over the years, not enough to worry about, could be made worse  by a smaller rear sprocket? or longer shocks or re-located shock mounts?

• Like 1

From memory they used to rub on the top of the swinging arm and also on the top of the bottom frame rail that the bashplate is welded to. From the 199a on a  rubber protector was fitted top and bottom to stop the problem. Inmotion sells these, but they will not bolt directly on your model without a bracket being made for the top run, whilst the bottom one bolts directly onto the alloy bashplate which was standard on that model but not on the 159. So yes they can be fitted but it will require some welding and fabrication on your part.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi Okie, I needed to look at the problem of the chain just kissing the swing arm on my Alpina, but not knowing that a correct item was available I made a rubbing pad from a strip of nylon like kitchen cutting board. It needed to be bent down a bit to fit, a little heat from a hot air gun set to low soon did this. Held in place with some instant grab adhesive it has worked well. It also worked well in a chain tensioner that was getting well worn. I hope this is of help, John.