Tong 2017 Cancelled ?

9 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

Bangor stopped because the local authourity didnt feel it was justified in spending the money to get a world round there.

Nowhere in Newcastle is siutable.

I was asking for a specific venue not a "general location" , and you can see why your choices dont work as above. Its you that needs to keep up and answer the question @faussy

What are you talking about I named 4 specific venues and one general...

On 20/06/2017 at 10:46 AM, faussy said:

I did answer the question, keep up

Fort william
bangor
newcastle
anywhere in yorkshire
hawkstone

thats just 5 off the top of my head, all better venues than the current venue

Fort william was cancelled (?) second time around because again lacal authority/tourist board declined to fund it.

bangor detailed why not above (ditto)

Newcastle again i ask WHERE (its a big city!)

No where in yprkshire was found to be suitable

Hawkstone basically cost/availabilty.

So no you havent suggested anywhere, would appreciate an answer ..................

The best place I can think is Harwood Dale at Scarborough. Far better than Tong.

One of the best rounds I remember watching was Hoghton Tower in 1994 - that was a great venue. Wonder if that is possible again?

I just think its a shame that the sections have to be built for the UK round as it isn't really reflective of our terrain.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, tricky dicky said:

The best place I can think is Harwood Dale at Scarborough. Far better than Tong.

One of the best rounds I remember watching was Hoghton Tower in 1994 - that was a great venue. Wonder if that is possible again?

I just think its a shame that the sections have to be built for the UK round as it isn't really reflective of our terrain.

I couldnt agree more. The whole idea of making sections that are more typical of spanish terrain than british terrain really annoys me, virtually to the point of why bother? Isnt the whole idea of a world series to produce a calender with varying terrain? It just seems to be "spainish like" terrain on repeat, and then everyone wonders why spain win everything. It reminds me of when the british mx gp moved from farleigh (100% grass) to hawkstone (100% sand), the dutch thought they had struck gold! bar Thorpe, the chances of a british winner at a british gp all but vanished! Just look how dabill went in a wet japan and imagine how he could go in a venue like hoghton towers. Dont we want the possibility of a british winner? because while we keep marking out sections for the spanish that will never ever happen. Everyone always goes on about when will bou or Raga ride the SSDT, and its a weekly joke at a local muddy trial, "i bet bou wouldnt get up that in the mud". Why not make them?! The british gp is our chance to mark out a proper british trial. What do we do, bring in big rocks and mark out indoor style sections. What a joke. All this pandering to the big wigs to provide facilities commensurate with the team's big trucks, just tell them in advance they are going to be parking in a grass field and if they dont like it, then dont bother turning up.

Edited by faussy
  • Like 5

On 02/07/2017 at 6:55 AM, nigel dabster said:

Fort william was cancelled (?) second time around because again lacal authority/tourist board declined to fund it.

bangor detailed why not above (ditto)

Newcastle again i ask WHERE (its a big city!)

No where in yprkshire was found to be suitable

Hawkstone basically cost/availabilty.

So no you havent suggested anywhere, would appreciate an answer ..................

The reason stated above for bangor not running is incorrect

newcastle the town, not the city

no where in yorkshire was found suitable? Says who?

Maybe incorrect maybe not but no one wants to run there, for whatever reason.

(16 year olds riding on the road seperated by a taped off section was probably stretching it anyway....

Martin Lampkin and Jake Miller spent a few weeks looking for a spot in yorkshire perhaps you know better than these two?

Newcastle the town? under lyme or where? Have you ok'ed it with the town council?

Come on @faussy you could be the answer to our problem spill the beans on where, exactly where?

Harwood Dale was one of my thoughts but after watching a Btc and riding the EYTD there im not convinced it has wtc terrain/sections.

ditto access 40 tonne arctics? Isnt there a small narrow bridge at the entrance?

Edited by nigel dabster
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, faussy said:

I couldnt agree more. The whole idea of making sections that are more typical of spanish terrain than british terrain really annoys me, virtually to the point of why bother? Isnt the whole idea of a world series to produce a calender with varying terrain? It just seems to be "spainish like" terrain on repeat, and then everyone wonders why spain win everything. It reminds me of when the british mx gp moved from farleigh (100% grass) to hawkstone (100% sand), the dutch thought they had struck gold! bar Thorpe, the chances of a british winner at a british gp all but vanished! Just look how dabill went in a wet japan and imagine how he could go in a venue like hoghton towers. Dont we want the possibility of a british winner? because while we keep marking out sections for the spanish that will never ever happen. Everyone always goes on about when will bou or Raga ride the SSDT, and its a weekly joke at a local muddy trial, "i bet bou wouldnt get up that in the mud". Why not make them?! The british gp is our chance to mark out a proper british trial. What do we do, bring in big rocks and mark out indoor style sections. What a joke. All this pandering to the big wigs to provide facilities commensurate with the team's big trucks, just tell them in advance they are going to be parking in a grass field and if they dont like it, then dont bother turning up.

Yep - Time for the ACU to take it back to basics - Brit style !!!

I haven't been to a GP Trial for years

I live 40 miles from Tong and now with my ACU card can get in free on Sunday - helluva incentive 

But will I go? Not sure 

iF if was at Raydale Farm Marsett, like the 1983 round I'd be up there like a shot and not even care about paying 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

Maybe incorrect maybe not but no one wants to run there, for whatever reason.

(16 year olds riding on the road seperated by a taped off section was probably stretching it anyway....

Martin Lampkin and Jake Miller spent a few weeks looking for a spot in yorkshire perhaps you know better than these two?

Newcastle the town? under lyme or where? Have you ok'ed it with the town council?

Come on @faussy you could be the answer to our problem spill the beans on where, exactly where?

Harwood Dale was one of my thoughts but after watching a Btc and riding the EYTD there im not convinced it has wtc terrain/sections.

ditto access 40 tonne arctics? Isnt there a small narrow bridge at the entrance?

The fact you still dont know where im talking about when i say newcastle makes me wonder why im having this debate with you.

The problem is those two were making the same mistake as yourself, taking into account access for big trucks. I go to a trial to be entertained, to see good sections, not to look at the trucks in the paddock. Its a sad day when access for the team trucks takes precedent over anything else.

..but it does, its all part of the "circus" and that genie will probably never go back in the bottle. However in all the events I've been to in Italy Spain Portugal France Poland Andorra Luxembourg Belgium (Spa possibly my favourite) and Majorca has the access ever been a problem.

It isnt a case of what you think is entertainment (or I) its a fact of the situation rather than anyone making mistakes. I absolutely agree there are gazillions of places that are absolutely suitable for a world round but Im guessing that these would never be sanctioned either by any local authority or any way pass any cities health and saftey or insurane requirements, or alternatively they are too remote to access.

That is always assuming that a club or the ACU would be willing to take the risk that the venture could lose thousands, and I do know of one club that have looked at this but baulked at the set up costs, which may be the reason we nearly lost Tong, but I dont know about that.

Im guessing now your initial comments didnt apply to reality.

Edited by nigel dabster
  • Like 1

I think you may have a point about that access bridge at Harwood Dale and now I think about it I'm sure somebody once mentioned that's why they couldn't run a round. In regards to the terrain though, it is far far better than Tong and that's without taking a digger anywhere near the place. I know they have got the heaps of big rocks now which have been imported in and would be perfect for the man made last section etc.

The ideal place is definitely Hawkstone as it is central and ticks all the boxes but it's useless if it costs a fortune to hire the place. I know loads of bits of land which are plenty good enough for a world round but there is no parking or the hard standing etc that is now required.

• Like 1

Now there's a rule change that might make more of a difference than no stop - all bikes to arrive at the trial in the equivalent of a mini pickup :-)

Seriously though, isn't it about time the FIM, if it seeks any environmental credentials at all, did something about a 70 kg bike being hauled round the world in a massive truck doing what must be single figure mpg?  Never mind electric bikes, that's not where the real issue is.

I'm not a follower of car sport but aren't there "rules" there which are supposed to have some sort of environmental effect, even if only nominally. Couldn't motorcycling do something that actually would have an effect.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 1

On 05/07/2017 at 9:34 PM, nigel dabster said:

..but it does, its all part of the "circus" and that genie will probably never go back in the bottle. However in all the events I've been to in Italy Spain Portugal France Poland Andorra Luxembourg Belgium (Spa possibly my favourite) and Majorca has the access ever been a problem.

It isnt a case of what you think is entertainment (or I) its a fact of the situation rather than anyone making mistakes. I absolutely agree there are gazillions of places that are absolutely suitable for a world round but Im guessing that these would never be sanctioned either by any local authority or any way pass any cities health and saftey or insurane requirements, or alternatively they are too remote to access.

That is always assuming that a club or the ACU would be willing to take the risk that the venture could lose thousands, and I do know of one club that have looked at this but baulked at the set up costs, which may be the reason we nearly lost Tong, but I dont know about that.

Im guessing now your initial comments didnt apply to reality.

Im glad we can agree on something! lol

They did and they didnt. We never do live in a ideal world. I understand Tong ticks more boxes (in my eyes the wrong boxes) than most venues, trials just seems to be becoming less and less accessible. Its akin to F1 preferring a street circuit in some far away land while silverstone, a proper circuit, is at threat. 

Of all the venues for the british GP over all the years, im sorry to say i think Tong is the worst. Maybe its just a sign of the times

Edited by faussy
  • Like 2

I think people need to stop thinking that making trials look like F1 is a good idea. Yes the car park is impressive but if the rules are a joke and the sections are all man made then surely the main objective hasn't been achieved. I.e find out who the best outdoor trials rider is...Yes obviously right now it's Toni Bou but the trials test what Toni is good at. 

World outdoor trials should include all types of terrain over a season. Currently as long as the car parks good and the venue has WiFi nobody is a***d about the sections.

• Like 3