Tong 2017 Cancelled ?

7 hours ago, baldilocks said:

I think people need to stop thinking that making trials look like F1 is a good idea. Yes the car park is impressive but if the rules are a joke and the sections are all man made then surely the main objective hasn't been achieved. I.e find out who the best outdoor trials rider is...Yes obviously right now it's Toni Bou but the trials test what Toni is good at. 

World outdoor trials should include all types of terrain over a season. Currently as long as the car parks good and the venue has WiFi nobody is a***d about the sections.

There must be some middle ground BUT the fact that Bou trains on man made sections in Naturalandia (andorra) when there is some fantastic natural sections all around there within 5 mins says it all.

• Like 1

From a practice point of view that makes sense, you can construct a section to practice a particular technique. But world trials should be testing the rider ability across a broad range of technique and terrain ?

Last year at Tong Bou was very impressive the in the mud section I watched on the opening lap but a few others just couldn't ride it at all.

On 8 July 2017 at 6:52 AM, nigel dabster said:

I went to tong once and i probably wont go back,free or not. But there must be some visionary authority  (like Bangor) or a more suitable venue somewhere......

Hmmm

I went yesterday for the first time and concur with you 

Some great riders - especially on 125's 

Venue - not great for me and I much prefer Reeth or Clachaig and that is a proper trial 

On 8 July 2017 at 9:02 AM, baldilocks said:

From a practice point of view that makes sense, you can construct a section to practice a particular technique. But world trials should be testing the rider ability across a broad range of technique and terrain ?

Last year at Tong Bou was very impressive the in the mud section I watched on the opening lap but a few others just couldn't ride it at all.

Watched him yesterday on S13 lap 2 - a real snotty mud section an Bou fived at the mud bank, a real natural bit of the whole section, where as Fujigas got through the section for 1 (but Dibs/cabestany/busto did 5 it) and I think Gubian cleaned it

Watching Bou, he was awesome on the man made stuff, but looked average on the ordinary stuff

I wish he'd go to Reeth in October on a rainy day

Another issue with the no stop rules struck me watching the trial. For some of the big steps preceded by a tight turn it obviously takes time to go from low rpm to even 3 /4000 rpm. While this takes place the rider can't really creep forward or they would be too close. Worse perhaps for 4t motors. 

Still enjoyed the day but the rules need to reflect what's actually observed.

• Like 2

I went and took my little lad along we enjoyed it I must admit I would have preferred to see more mud as to me uk trials  = Mud, world round should have terrain that matches the country its held in.

12 hours ago, baldilocks said:

Another issue with the no stop rules struck me watching the trial. For some of the big steps preceded by a tight turn it obviously takes time to go from low rpm to even 3 /4000 rpm. While this takes place the rider can't really creep forward or they would be too close. Worse perhaps for 4t motors. 

Still enjoyed the day but the rules need to reflect what's actually observed.

Or the section design needs to reflect the rules which can then be applied properly.