Chain recommendation - std or o/x-ring?

drca

2013 TXT Pro 250

Just found that my chain has some stiff links and is showing some signs of rust.  So time for a replacement.  What do people use / recommend?

I'd like to go o-ring (or x-ring...) but I am concerned that the o-ring type chains are wider than the regular chains and will cause problem with the chain guide.

Thanks.

I've never considered an 'O' or 'X' ring chain for my Trials bikes, I don't see the need personally. I've always enjoyed good longevity from Regina chains. Just out of curiosity I found the following............

DID 520 ERT2: 17.60mm width and 36000 Nm average tensile strength.

DID 520 ERS2: 16.75 and 25900.

Regina 520 135EBXL: 15.875 and 26900.

All non O or X ring, the DID 520 ERT2 is certainly a stronger b@$t@rd, just depends on whether your bike can accommodate the width of 17.60mm without rubbing on something? 

Edited by fourex
none of your business.

Thanks for all the replies.  So I ended up ordering a RK standard chain (I've been pretty happy with RK chains before and it was cheap < US$30 on Amazon Prime) and some good lubricants.  I am in Northern California so 8 months of the year we don't know what rain is, and the rest of the time it's too wet to ride... :lol:

Hoppy trails.

On 6/14/2017 at 4:48 AM, cascao said:

I like to change the sprockets and chain at same time. 

Yeah... I have sprockets on order... my question was really about the type of chain, but thanks for the reminder.

• Like 1