240 Swinging arm bolt removal

ttproducts

And so...

The bike is stripped and the swinging arm spindle won't come out.  I have a couple of questions:

It has been soaked with penetrating fluid for a couple of weeks.

Is the swinging arm spindle threaded in to the left side of the frame?

If it is threaded in what's the best way to grip it to screw it out?  A small nut welded to the other end?  A hole drilled through the middle to put a pry bar in?  Something else?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,  Clive.

Hi Clive, it's not threaded but there's a pinch bolt which can get overlooked.

There's a nice exploded drawing in pdf format in  an earlier thread which will answer loads of your questions I'm sure. It was to do with a 240 gearbox.

Phil

Phil,

Thanks for the reply.

Yep, the pinch bolt is out.  It looks like it's going to be a grinder job then  (if I can get a thin enough disc) or a lot of faffing with a hack saw.  I've seen varying answers on the threaded in question, are you 100% sure it's not threaded? Before I take an even bigger hammer to it?

I could do it on a press but I can't see a bit of 80s Italian frame putting up with the pressure it's going to need.

Cheers,

Clive.

Now I'm confused.

First post said it's not screwed in to the frame, second post said it is.

I'm not meaning to be awkward but I really want to be as sure as I can be before I take a grinder or big hammer to it.

The bike is fully stripped but the swinging arm won't come out of the frame because I can't get the spindle out.  No engine, no pinch bolt, nothing except the frame, swinging arm and spindle.

Thanks for the pdf link, Very useful thing to have.

Cheers,

Clive.

Edited by ttproducts

Here's an old I have. It's not threaded into the frame just the nut on the end you've already removed. I'm guessing the ridges are stopping it from sliding back out or maybe the bearings are rusted to the spindle. I know a friend had a heck of a job getting one out of a 301. 

20170612_205317-1.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the photo.  Is the collar on the right fixed to the spindle, to butt up against the frame from the inside?  That'll obliviously determine which end need the persuader :-) Thinking about that again, it must be on the outside of the frame or it'll never come out.

Mine has nuts both ends and no allen key holes or anything to enable twisting it.

Edited by ttproducts

Oh my dayz! :D  :D  :D   See what I mean about varying information.

There is definitely no hole for an allen key and never has been.

Hopefully someone has some experience of the type I have.  It's looking like a  nut welded to the end is going to be the answer and then grind it off once it's turning - and hope the thread file sorts out the mess my Mr Blobby activities will produce :D 

Edited by ttproducts

Original is definitely screwed into the frame however, it sounds as if the one you have is non standard. I would suggest the following way forward...

Weld the right hand side nut to the shaft. The heat from welding may well be enough to loosen it off but if not you will need to heat the frame where the it screws into the left hand side (assuming that your non standard one does screw in.

In short, heat is your friend

Your best bet would be to cut through the middle of it, wobble the left side out and put a set of mole grips or other on the bit left screwed into th frame and with a bit of heat and persuasion, unscrew it.

A replacement would cost around 110 quid with all bearings and seals etc. Don't go for a stainless one, stainless is soft and the needle rollers wear the shaft really quickly.

Sorry for the confusion caused but working from memory and digging in the archives back over 20 years......

Yes it is threaded into the frame, sorry I said otherwise earlier I was thinking of later Fantics. Had to go and have a look at my spare 240 frame as I really couldn't remember there being a thread but there defiantly is! 

The other end has a 10mm allen key and the thick washer is held on by a snap ring so can be removed once the spindle is out. If your spindle doesn't have this end then it's probably from another bike. You will need to unscrew it to get it out presuming it's threaded as original or just go for cutting it as mentioned. 

I bought one from Bosisio Motori but they are now sold out. If Bill Pye or Bob Right don't have one then you are welcome to the one in the picture for free. It's got some wear but better than nothing until you can find a new one or possibly get a copy made, it would be a handy template.

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone, and don't you just love a happy ending.

It's out.

It is threaded (into the left side of the frame using a normal thread).I'd concluded that welding a nut on the other end to unscrew it was the best option.  My welding isn't anything you'd want to be using when swinging off a big spanner so I took it round to Derrick Eddy.  Dek wasn't at all keen on a Fantic crossing the threshold but the promise of some pizza did the trick.

We looked at it a bit, resisted the grinder again and tried even more mole grips.  Then found a big nut to weld on.  Then Carl suggested Lofty's big stillsons might do the job and the biggest set of stillsons I've ever seen turned up, Dek and me held the frame and Carl did the technical bit.  No heat and it worked a treat, but it was definitely a two man job, maybe even three..  No damaged threads, spindle unscrewed exactly as you'd expect and it'll go again no problems - with a nut welded to the end so next time is less bother.

There's no doubt two weeks of penetrating oil had helped but honestly, the stillsons did a perfect job.  I'll be heading to Machine Mart for my very own set.

Cheers,

Clive.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Hello Clive

I'm here in New Zeakand and have a 240 Professional with a seized in swing arm spindle.

Just confirming, did you weld the big nut onto the spindle end where the Allen Key  hole is.  I tried to unscrew the spindle using an allen key but no luck.  

Cheers

Greg Power