Best shocks

sherco78

After a long lay off I've come back to trials and realised that at 40 years of age club level expert route is doable just not enjoyable for me (some sections a bit dodgy for my age!!) where I am from the expert class is a big jump up from Clubman so riding a modern bike at Clubman level isn't very challenging, I've bought a very nice Fantic 240 to ride at clubman level so trying to get it as competitive as possible, what's the best rear shocks on the market and where can I get them from?

To the average club rider, does the difference between your modern standard shocks and your ohlin or similar upgrade make that much difference.

A expert rider told me, he doubts it.

is this view shared.

Fully appreciate fantic shocks and modern standard mono shocks are very different.

don,t waste your money on betor alloy gas shocks.they are sold as re-buildable until you try to find someone to rebuild them nobody will touch them and the factory just ignore your email. should be sold as disposable in my opinion!

I've just put some rockshox on my Drayton c15. Way better than the betors I had on i seem to be able to feel more what the tyres doing. Well impressed. Give Gary fleckney a call nice chap and very helpful

• Like 1

I put a pair of Falcon's on my Penton Mudlark and it made a big difference, compared to the (older) Betor's I had on there. But as mentioned above, I also put time and money in to the forks, to get them working right.

• 2 weeks later...

Betors work fine for me on my Speedy with the caveat of the correct spring rate...If I had I gold plated factory Ohlins front and rear I'd still the same crap rider.

I've NJB's on my 247 and they are stiff as fence posts...need correct springs, previous owner was a fuller figured fellow.

Those in the hopping 'n jumping Red Route experts like a Rock Shock around these parts, but I think they could have angle iron rear end and still be competitive...thinking of a Bantam hard tail rider

Edited by iconic558

• 2 months later...

Norman Blakemore at NJB has just customised some trickshocks to look like period Girlings with a similar colour scheme. He is willing to do more if demand is there with the bodies and springs powdercoated.  Contact him directly if interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on your weight, if you are as heavy as Mr. Average which is 80kg with gears then everything is OK if you weight much more or much less then it's an issue.

You can have the most expensive shock but with the wrong spring worthless, thus I would in your situation look up manufacturer that can provide a broad range of springs to your need.

Then there is the look, (for me my eyes rides with the bike) and the shock has to somehow fit to the design of the bike, therefore I like:

- Magicals on Spanish bikes,

- Especially double spring Falcons with aluminium body on SWM, (these look even a bit more like Girlings),

- Rockshocks on Yamaha,

Never had a Fantic so here I have no ides.

The shock market is very competative and almost overcrowed. I have the original shocks on a Ty 250 of some 40 odd years old and can ride it as well as if I fit expensive new shocks. My Swm had the orignal shocks and rode it , but changed to Rockshocks and did it improve my scores ....The NJb Girling replica's are to go on a newly restored Fantic, I doubt they will change the life of my sons riding it, but they do look very period and different. French riders are scouring the internet for knackered old Girlings to then send to Belgium for a guy to restore, to retain the period look.  Most of new wave of shocks  are made in the same factory i n Spain so I am informed,  only the retail price is different.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2017 at 5:18 PM, metisse said:

The shock market is very competative and almost overcrowed. I have the original shocks on a Ty 250 of some 40 odd years old and can ride it as well as if I fit expensive new shocks. My Swm had the orignal shocks and rode it , but changed to Rockshocks and did it improve my scores ....The NJb Girling replica's are to go on a newly restored Fantic, I doubt they will change the life of my sons riding it, but they do look very period and different. French riders are scouring the internet for knackered old Girlings to then send to Belgium for a guy to restore, to retain the period look.  Most of new wave of shocks  are made in the same factory i n Spain so I am informed,  only the retail price is different.

Any idea what vintage Girlings these folks are looking for?

Works Performance makes, or I should say made nice stuff.  Recently I learned they closed their doors after about 40 years in business.  Hopefully someone will resurect Works Performance.  If that has happened as of yet, I don’t know.

As the odd man out, because I had them, and they are both a high quality shock, seals are easily obtained, plus super easy to rebuild, I installed period correct Curnutt shocks on the back of my 73 MAR.  There was some uncertainty of how well they would perform, but so far have worked very well in my opinion.

Edited by pmk