Ohlins upgrade recommendation

drca

I am looking at upgrading my rear shock to a Ohlins from Splat Shop (this one) on my 2013 TXT Pro.  I have been doing trials for 1 year now and I have done a couple of events and plan to do more this year (travel schedule permitting).

Now... it's a bit of a cash chunk and I don't know that there is anything wrong with my current rear shock, but my experience with suspensions (from years of enduro riding) is that until you try something "better", you don't know how much better is "better" (or how bad what you currently have is) ^_^

But I also know that it won't make me magically climb 3 foot ledges the day I put it on :shutup: but hopefully I'll work up to that level in a few months.

I've searched on this forum and there isn't much recent on the Ohlins shock so I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on whether this is worth it and and my level what would be the benefits.

Thanks.

DC

If your enduro experience means you have come in and found you are getting good results for a beginner then maybe, otherwise the money is better spent on riding more trials (and perhaps a tyre).  At four years old there should not be much wrong with the original.

Save your money, until the stocker blows, if you ever need a new one, look at the Rieger shock, more money but a much better shock. Wasn't really impressed with the Ohlin shock that i put on my 2014 Beta Evo 300, 2t. Had it rebuilt for 180$ and it is working better on my 2016 300, 4T. I felt the shock was too soft on compression dampening and had it made a little stiffer. If you have just started riding trials i seriously doubt it will help you by putting a large amount of money into a rear shock. Just ride as much as you can. Maybe do a trials school.

I user to swear by Ohlins shocks for the Gas Gas until the 2013 model which has a different linkage to the earlier pro models. I fitted to  one to my 2013 but it didn't work as well in the sections as the Sachs original. After fitting a different spring I still went back to the original. Ohlins still better between sections and bigger impacts I would say.