Jitsie rear linkage suspension protector

drca

• 4 weeks later...

Normally bike/atv's/etc... use something called UMHW plastic.   

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0070ZASVO/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

If it a very tough and slippery plastic that makes a skid plate that will not break, but will slid over an obstruction.  If you can find someone that pulled the factory skid plates off a RZR Side by Side for a aftermarket replacement it is this type of plastic and about 1/8 inch and people around here give them away.  On UTV's we switch to 1/4 or thicker due to the weight of the machine (1000+ pounds) and the high speed impacts they need to endure.

A Rotozip works great for cutting them or even a bandsaw for the outer shape.  You can use a heat gun to form it if you need a bit of a bend.

Edited by code54

1 hour ago, code54 said:

Normally bike/atv's/etc... use something called UMHW plastic.   

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0070ZASVO/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

If it a very tough and slippery plastic that makes a skid plate that will not break, but will slid over an obstruction.  If you can find someone that pulled the factory skid plates off a RZR Side by Side for a aftermarket replacement it is this type of plastic and about 1/8 inch and people around here give them away.  On UTV's we switch to 1/4 or thicker due to the weight of the machine (1000+ pounds) and the high speed impacts they need to endure.

A Rotozip works great for cutting them or even a bandsaw for the outer shape.  You can use a heat gun to form it if you need a bit of a bend.

I ended up using a Kydex sheet which is pretty tough and thermoformable and available online or locally in the US at any TapPlastic (altho these guys think it's ABS!).

I use 1/4" (6mm).  The sheet I got came out of the remnant bin and cost $1 but was on the narrow side so I didn't get all the coverage I wanted (width wise).

Here is what it looks like:

Kyvex-1.jpg

Kyvex-2.jpg

I ended using the same material in 1/8" for doing frame rail protectors:

Kyvex-4.jpg

Kyvex-3.jpg

These are held with thin strips of Scotch Extreme Mounting Tape (that stuff is so good that it might peel off the powder coating when I try to pry them off!).

• 1 year later...