New to trials bikes

Rob acko

Hi everyone,

my name is rob and located in the hull area.

after a year of looking into green lanes and trail/trial riding I am looking at getting a trials bike so that I have something that would be good at both.

my choice is between a 4rt or beta 4t 300

i ride a super sports mainly but am looking for something different to challenge me and possibly increase my ability off road. I love the idea of getting up something very steep of difficult but don't ever see myself as the next Toni bou. 

After reading many posts saying don't ask which is best ha ha ha I was just wondering how to two bikes compare, mainly the carb v fi 

also has anyone change front and rear sprockets for a slightly faster trail ride?

great side guys 

cheers rob

hi ROB have a look at a 4rt ride best of both worlds. As for service (oils air filter ) much the same less carb cleaning and work involved in removing it ,with  4rt no water in carb but the trade off is electrics/ wiring making fault finding on 4rt harder .

Edited by on it
spelling

There is a longrange tank seat available for the Beta and it is by far the best for greenlaning in that the exhaust is near silent - something which can not be said for either Montesa offering.

Notwithstanding that Amos Bilbao finished the SSDT on a Four Ride, using one in a trial is not something I would wish on a beginner.

I have read that the beta 4t is very quite and probably better for green lanes etc but I wonder if the fi would be less maintenance than the carb

i can my oil and filters and chains etc on my road bike but haven't really tried anything more in depth than that

as for trials I wouldn't be entering any straight away unless I felt that I was getting quite good at it

are they both great bikes and just a personal preference?

thanks

It sounds like both are very very capable for my needs.

i am slightly leaning towards the 300 4t beta as I would be more hill climbing and travelling to and from off road sections over actual difficult trials.

the trials I would be working my way into as I felt more confident jumping around etc

the problem is I love the repsol montesa !!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rob, I have just revisited trialling after nearly 30 years ( last bike JCM ) Treated myself to a Sherco ST 300 Factory 6 months old, I just find it absolutely incredible how these machines have moved on ( mind you we do have the tinternet and these stupid things strapped to people's ears now) Bought my son a 2007 GasGas 125 cc Pro this too is brilliant ( Lad loves it he's out every night practicing). Have you joined a club we are from Howden so was thinking of joining Scunthorpe MC ( Do you no were you can go and practice locally).

IMG_3187.PNG

Just plug em in if there genuine items. I have on my 05 4rt. The speedo on mine works with what looks like a conventional front wheel drive that converts to an electric plug at the top end, never seen that before. Mine is reading in KPH at the min...need MPH to get through MOT if anyone knows if they can be switched over? Also failed on noisy exhaust...Is there a DB killer that goes in the end of the gen silencer? There are two tapped hole to mount something on the end. 

20258140_10209758561664737_7119558263620142815_n.jpg

Unfortunately we only have one test station on the Island,so can't take it else where. They are a bit fruity, think he wants me to make an attempt at quietening it down, he suggested making up something my self.

Any clue on changing KPH to MPH on speedo?