Beta evo 250 2017 second hand good idea??

justjosh9

Hey guys I'm after a bit of advice. 

Im fairly new to trials. Been riding 4 months on one of the first scorpa SY models 250. Which is my grandads old bike that I just borrowed to get into it. 

Its fair to say I'm well and truly addicted. I practice 2 times a week and then trial as much as possible Saturday Sunday wherever. When I'm not on the motorbike I'm hoping around on a trials push bike so my learning curve has been pretty steep. I'm a mid table clubman rider now and improving week by week so that's a basic idea of my brief trials history! 

I know the old old scorpa would probably take me all the way to expert level and I do like it apart from the clutch is so snappy compared to all the others I've rode. But I know I'm a trials rider for as long as I can do it now and I want a modern bike.. Tried a few beta gas gas sherco ect ect and I found the beta to be the nicest maybe just because the guy set it up perfectly or what I don't know. 

Anyway heres my question before i ramble on all night. There's a beta evo 2017 at inch perfect for sale that's in immaculate condition and a grand cheaper than buying a new one. However apparently the guy who had it was James lampkin to ride the scot.. obviously he's a quality rider and hardly dropped any so there's nothing visually wrong with the bike but I'm a bit worried as to why the top boys get a bike for the scot then get rid. Is it because they nail them and wear them out? The guy at inch perfect seems knowledgable but obviously he's a salesman as well as a trials rider. He rid the scot this year and assured me it was dry and he's a good rider and would have looked after it..

that's literally all the bikes done he's serviced it said he will put a flywheel weight and slow action throttle on for me ect. 

I'm not short for cash but it would be nice to save a grand! 

Any thoughts?? Seem like a good deal?? 

He's ridden the Scottish six days on it, not the scot. 

Whilst he can def handle a bike well and wouldn't really of hammered it, it's a lot of miles under a bikes belt, the equivalent of probably 30 or so centre trials in one week. 

I'm not saying it's a bad idea buying a bike that's done the ssdt, it may just be better to buy a bike that hasn't as a first bike!

im going to be biased now because I've got one, but there's a cracking 250 TRS for sale on trials central. It's a beautifully built bike, small, light, and very smooth power, ideal for a bike to ride and improve on

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies guys.  DMc sorry I'm new to the game I thought the scot was the Scottish 6 day. 

The only thing that was putting me off really is the mileage through the moors it's like 100 miles a day right? I was just trying to figure if it's worth taking the risk for a grand less

plus as dan says the lampkins would surely have had it in fine fettle throughout 

a lampkin once said to me '' we re easy on bikes cos we ride over rocks not into them'' and theres a lot of truth in that. one trial bikes are abundent post ssdt, lads buy a brand new bike move it on post trial to take a grand loss but thats the penalty for riding a brand new bike.. you d probably spend more than that getting a year old bike fit for the ssdt.

are you sure its just a 250? 

• Like 1

It's just the standard 250 evo model not the factory. I was surprised at that too because I would have thought all the experts would have 300 factory models...

Why do they sell the bikes post ssdt though? I would have thought they'd just ride them for the rest of the year surely unless the Scottish nails the bikes. 

He's ridden the Scottish six days on it, not the scot. 

Whilst he can def handle a bike well and wouldn't really of hammered it, it's a lot of miles under a bikes belt, the equivalent of probably 30 or so centre trials in one week. 

I'm not saying it's a bad idea buying a bike that's done the ssdt, it may just be better to buy a bike that hasn't as a first bike!

im going to be biased now because I've got one, but there's a cracking 250 TRS for sale on trials central. It's a beautifully built bike, small, light, and very smooth power, ideal for a bike to ride and improve on

he did ride a standard 250 because I rode it this year too. Your right in saying a rider as good as him is more gentle on the bike than a clubman in the ssdt, and the bike would have kept right no doubt, I'm just saying that 1 week in Scotland can be a years work for most casual bike owners. 

He would have had the bike for a few trials pre Scotland, ride the ssdt then sell it as he's only riding casually these days, and has an outing every year in Scotland, bit like the Hemingway bros

I think saving a grand for a bike that's been ridden like a casual rider for a years worth is pretty decent though? Do you think? 

I mean I'm saving 1/5 and I will be selling it in a year/  2 years most anyway so instead of losing 3 grand I'd just be losing 2 grand on depreciation as it's still a 2017 and the next person doesn't need to know it's ridden a Scottish haha!! Although having a bike owned by a lampkin is pretty cool non the less! 

Seen as it's been serviced and they will set it up for me I'm 90% sure on having it now unless anyone can persuade me otherwise !!

apreciate the opinions though guys 

• Like 1

I'm not worried about the price or loss on depreciation. I've lost more on car depreciation in a year than a new trials bike. 

Im not made of money or ready to throw hard earned cash away and I know I could use the old scorpa all the way to expert and probably beyond.. but... let's be honest it's nice having a new bike and it would be even nicer spending a grand less! 

I have no kids and my girlfriend earns good money so I'm lucky to have disposable income at the min so I was thinking why not 

Just get it

I saw James riding it this year and he just floated over the rocks

I wouldn't be worried about buying an ex James Lampkin SSDT bike, but I would worry about buying an clubman rider's bike who had lost 300 marks in the SSDT and crashed into a lot of rocks

• Like 2

Buy it, well looked after, ridden gently, well run in, a no-brainer to my mind. Don't know the price but anything James has had will be spot on.

Reason he's selling it that he works for a living, has had years of trialing and will buy another bike when his next big trial comes up

• Like 1

It's probably true that the real experts are kind on their bikes, despite the brutal nature of the sections they're riding. They'll use a high-ish gear to ease through a section at low revs with plenty of clutch work, skimming the top of the rocks with seemingly light contact by the tyres only, where lesser lights crunch their way through. Even when the best have fives, they seem more able to hang onto the bike to stop it crashing back down the cliff they've just tried to ride up. 

• Like 2

Thanks for your opinions guys! 

My grandad reckons it could be a decent bike to get, and he's been riding for years. 

So I've pretty much made up my mind if it's decent on test ride I'm having it !!

Not many people can say a lampkin had this bike before me either haha!! 

I'm excited now