1984 Fantic 300 stator rebuild

drca

My "new to me" Fantic 300 I just bought came with a stator that the previous owner had taken apart with the goal of repairing.  Here are the parts I got...

2017-06-27 18.01.05.jpg

2017-06-27 18.00.52.jpg

So, being new to this (the Fantic) my question is where do I go from here?

I am not even sure if the spare widings are working (I can test them for continuity and resistance - what should I be lookig for).

Looks like on the stator there are different size winding (fat and skinny) and it looks like the missing one is a "skinny" one.

There are more wires hanging un-soldered than I expected to connect just one winding...

Once I put it together, short of putting it into the bike and checking if there is spark, how do I test it?

Thanks for the help (on what I think is going to be one of many many questions I'll have in the next few months).

DC

The fat wire windings on the stator are the power windings for things like lights, horn and fan (on a liquid cooled engine). The black box is almost certainly the trigger coil to time the ignition. The fine wire coil - not on the stator is the ignition source coil. This produces the power for the spark.. Resistance should probably be about 250 Ohms but this is not a reliable guide to condition.

The only proper way to test it is on the engine and measure the output (or look for spark at plug) when turning the flywheel with a power drill.

Does you bike have a CDI box or are the CDI functions integral with the HT coil?

Bradford Ignitions may be able to help.

In the US, the Tryals Shop is your best bet for Fantic parts. If he doesn't have what you need, email Bob Wright and see if he has a "source coil" for the 300. I got one from him a few years back for mine and it didn't break the bank. 

Search back through the posts on this forum and you'll find a wiring diagram. 

http://www.bobwrightmotorcycles.co.uk/

http://www.tryalsshop.com/