315r to 4rt ?

caravan_monster

Perpetual easy route wobbler toying with the idea of trying a 4rt after years on the 315 (2000 model year, I think). The appeal of the 4rt is in being easier to kick over (bad knees - the jarring movement of kicking the 315 over ~40 times / trial is not great) and it might be good to ride something different for a change. I really don't ride enough, but do my best to ride a trial every month, so not absolutely sure it's worth the money. Could probably stretch to around a 2014 4rt and would hold onto the 315 for the short term.

Anyone else gone from the 315 to the 4rt and how did you get on ?

I moved a few months ago from a Sherco 250 2006 which was an excellent bike, just fancied a change as bike was getting old , to a 2015 mint 4rt which I got a good deal on, still getting used to it but first impressions are good, the build is excellent, brilliant on the moors ( sounds great when you open it up), best clutch I have ever had,  still however going through adjustment period, as different technique required, so whilst it feels better, debate if any better in reality at this stage.

Only problem I had with 4rt was starting it at outset, a new iridium plug solved that.

On the basis  you only ride once a month, I suspect you are like me ( no Toni Bou or jrsunt ) so adjustment may not be so critical as starting point lower for our level.

I would also say go for it and join the 4rt club. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm not too worried about changing bikes affecting my results (can't get much worse:lol:) It's about time for a change and maybe inspire to make time to ride more trials. Sounds like a 4rt might work well  for a less competitive / for fun rider.

• 3 weeks later...

Jrsunt- It would be a big help to people that are new to this bike if you could  be more specific about what it will and will not do?  It's my first trials bike in thirty five years so I really have no baseline about its strengths or weaknesses..  other than the weight of course..  ordered a 2018 TRS RR this past weekend.  Going to try that out.  Keeping the montesa for my son.  

20 hours ago, medeiros494 said:

Jrsunt- It would be a big help to people that are new to this bike if you could  be more specific about what it will and will not do?  It's my first trials bike in thirty five years so I really have no baseline about its strengths or weaknesses..  other than the weight of course..  ordered a 2018 TRS RR this past weekend.  Going to try that out.  Keeping the montesa for my son.  

If you were coming straight off a modern 2st then you will notice the differences, but as it's your 1st bike in 35 years it will do everything better than your last bike!

Seriously though, it's finding and keeping the grip that takes time to learn. It's pretty much a case of practice, practice, practice.

Weight is not an issue, unless your doing a lot of trick riding, the suspension and frame more than makes up for the few extra kg's.

Enjoy the TRS, it would be good to hear some back to back test reviews though.

• Like 3

If you know anyone who owns one then I'd recommend riding it for a full day but take the 315 as well so you can see for yourself what they're like side by side. That's the only way you are going to know what's the best option for you.

Edited by gaz12349
  • Like 1