Sticky clutch

Fishlp

Hi everyone, new to forum, recently purchased 78 ty250 has a stubborn sticking clutch. Every time I ride it, it takes like 5 or 10 minutes for clutch to free up, than works fine. Any advice on fixing other than disassembly? Thanks in advance, dave from southern Ontario.

I'm not recommending this because it will cause the springs to sag prematurely, but I've seen people leave the clutch lever tied against the grip while the bike is parked.

If you haven't already changed the gearbox oil you could try doing that. I'm not saying it will definitely work though because I don't know what is causing yours to stick and shiny clutch plates is the usual reason for them sticking rather than contaminated oil.

I don't know if you have tried this but if you have somewhere with a bit of room you can start the motor, push off as you select first gear, shift up to 4th or 5th gear then pull in the clutch lever and work the motor against the rear brake. A sticky clutch will usually break free immediately. The higher the gear, the greater the torque on the clutch.

You can try the clutch fix pinned at the top of the Beta forum. On a bike that old you may also have some swelling of the fiber plates and the steel plates can be polished to cause a hydraulic lock. You may also have notched the basket/hub.

Basically the best way to know is a disassemble and look. 

• Like 1