Factory evo gearing

the dabster

Evening all,

Just purchased a 2017 Factory 300 and coming from a Gas\Gas noticed first gear too short for almost all sections.  Seen john lampkin's ssdt preparation guide, where he recommends changing the primary sprocket from a ten to twelve (42/12) which makes bottom usable.  Phoned Beta today and was advised most riders in the ssdt this year opted for 42/11.  Is the 11 tooth front enough to make bottom effective or should I go for the twelve?

You could also shift to second more often. With the 11 it runs good, but makes 2nd not as useable. I tried the 11 this last week as I am searching for just the right combo myself. Trouble is we ride tight very large steep rocks at high elevation. (Thirty feet tall plus) I know completely different terrain, but I also just switched from a Gasser. The Beta first gear has always been too low.  Good luck.

• Like 1

2017 Beta 2T 250 Factory.

Terrain: lots of big rocks, slippery creek beds

High elevation around 5 to 6 K feet above sea level.

Average temp around 98 to 101 F

Level of rider:  Really old fart novice

Lots of experimenting  settled on 11 in front 41 in rear.  Experimenting over with.  

• Like 2

I have been riding mostly Beta's for the last 25 years...hardly ever used bottom gear, mostly 2nd, with 3rd and 4th in reserve, never felt the need to gear up, but i suppose if you do a lot of road work it would be handy

• Like 1

Evening

14 hours ago, the dabster said:

Evening all,

Just purchased a 2017 Factory 300 and coming from a Gas\Gas noticed first gear too short for almost all sections.  Seen john lampkin's ssdt preparation guide, where he recommends changing the primary sprocket from a ten to twelve (42/12) which makes bottom usable.  Phoned Beta today and was advised most riders in the ssdt this year opted for 42/11.  Is the 11 tooth front enough to make bottom effective or should I go for the twelve?

"almost all sections"

Why change and leave yourself lacking for the rest, few though they be?  You've paid for six gears in the box and you probably don't feel the need for a higher sixth so use second as suggested above.  You don't really want SSDT (11) gearing for the average section; they are a bit straighter that week so first can be higher than normal.

I'm sure you'll get used to it as it is.

• Like 1

Appreciate all the replies.  Don't need it faster as I wont use it on road it was just second gear was quicker than suits my riding style. I like to be between quarter and three quarter throttle in a typical rocky stream, I'm not super skilled and struggle to carry a higher gear if that makes sense.  Also seems crazy to make a bike six speed then to have the first one almost obsolete because it's too low.  What was the logic behind such a short gear? what could it be used for?

Try using the first gear and you will get used to it! A friend changed from a Sherco to Beta 300 and complained at the same thing.

Told him to try using the first gear in tight sections, and now he almost rides in first almost everywhere except bigger steps.

It´s just in your head as you are not used to the slightly higher revs in your ears.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, viking said:

Try using the first gear and you will get used to it! A friend changed from a Sherco to Beta 300 and complained at the same thing.

Told him to try using the first gear in tight sections, and now he almost rides in first almost everywhere except bigger steps.

It´s just in your head as you are not used to the slightly higher revs in your ears.

Good point, i'll stay with it and see how it goes, thanks.

• 4 months later...

I went up to the 11t countershaft on Saturday. Last event of the year Sunday. I always rode in second in 90% of the sections. Yesterday it was reversed. All in first except for two sections. Had a third gear hill climbing starting on the hill, still pulled it no problem. Will be keeping this combo 11/42. Might try a 43 when I next change sprockets. I ride Expert class (3rd from the top class) which is probably more of an easy hard line. Thanks Billy!

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 1

My 2016 Evo 300 came with 10/42 gearing and I experimented with 9T (SS gearing of 9/42) but felt that 1st gear was definitely too low. Tried 11T with 42 and 44 but still was too tall for riding sections. I ended up with 10/43, then tried 10/44 and have been happy using 1st Gear in 90% of my Intermediate level Section riding. I only use 2nd gear if there is a bigger hill to get up. Going very slow in 1st Gear provides maximum control for my environments.