SWM Swingarm Bushings

dozerash

I bought a 1980 SWM TL320 last year that was in need of a lot of work. I'm fixing it up to compete in vintage trials. I'm replacing the swingarm bushings and have had a heck of a time just removing one bushing. 

Anyone have a better way to remove and replace these bushings? I have a few different ideas but thought I would ask here for some advice. Thanks 

With a decent press, no problem at all removing and replacing. No press, lots of pickin and fussin about !

Drill the rubber out and cut rhrough the rest with a fine hacksaw to be able to remove the inner bush. Or use heat to burn the rubber away.

Then cut through the length of the outer bush a couple of times carefully avoiding cutting into the swing arm.

Once the outer bush has been carefully chiselled out, use a large vice to press the new ones in making sure that you have the innerside of the bush flush with the face of the swingarm (where the engine casing sits)

I  I'm going to try using my 12 ton press next, I think I came up with a way to press out through the other side. Otherwise I'll cut it out like the first one. I think I can use the ball joint press to press the new ones in. The new bushings are in the freezer and I will heat the swingarm before I start pressing the new ones in.

Sorry no pictures. I didn't get a lot of time to work on it, but I finally finished it. The bushings took some work to press in, but I made the ball joint press work. I think next time I'll just take it to a shop.