Gas Gas TXT Pro 250 questions

code54

I recently purchased a Gas Gas TXT Pro 250 and had a few questions:

Is a real service manual anywhere to be found ?

What is the easy way to start the bike - sometimes it kicks right over and other times it is a workout!

What is the factory compression (as measured on a gauge so I can tell how my top end is)

Best places to find replacement plastic.

THANK YOU

I put up with the no start, sometimes start, 15- 20 kick start for 3 years. Dealer tells me "it's technique mate" "your not kicking it right mate". My mates say if there was atrial in a desert I would not be able to start the pro as there would be no trees to lean on or rock to put my left foot on whilst kicking.

Ive used iridium plugs, moved the kick lever on its shaft,decoked  the top end, fitted fly wheel weights, fitted boyessen reeds, fitted fltslide carby and back to delorto again. I've also tried all, I'm talking all, the hints and tips on this forum. Too frustrating for me, I don't look foreward to rides much anymore.

I reckon the best fix is a Beta or a Sherco, I know I can start them easy Peary.

good luck Taff

Went over today and kicked and kicked- no luck.   Gave up and did some work around the house and thought I would give it another go.  Went over and second kick fired right up and ran like a champ.  Rode for bit without any problems and love the bike, just need to understand the starting ritual ????

Anyone know where I can get a service manual?

On my 300 the kick starter is moved forward one spline on the shaft.

It can be started with my left foot on the ground and kicking with the right, but it is much easier if my left foot is up on the peg.

So the comment earlier about a tree or something to lean on is fairly accurate, if you got a tree or something to lean against then you can get your feet on the pegs.  Once there, bring the kick starter back to where you feel pressure (take up the slack), from there kick firmly and smoothly with some authority.

Mine starts first or second kick.

Maybe this will help for a manual of some sort,

http://www.gasgasmotos.es/en/manuals/1.html

All i can say is make sure you kick it hard from the top, dont push the kickstarter down a quarter of the way and then kick it hard. You could kick for a month of sundays and it would never go like that.

I have a 2008 TXT PRO 300 and the (non-) starting ritual was initially frustrating me to no end. But then I read a hint which now consistently works for me; put the bike in second gear with the clutch out, roll back until you stop (as the piston rises and you form compression in the cylinder), pull in the clutch, and kick with a firm/strong stroke from the top. This technique will light my bike up in one or two kicks tops. The throw of the kick start lever is so short that you can't afford the energy/time to spin the piston to compression. Rather you have to be there already when you kick.Clearly having a bike/carb in tune is equally critical. And I did find that if the kick lever was too far forward/advanced on the spline it didn't work well as I'd often drive the lever down/forward rather than down and around. Just remember that you only have about a quarter circle of "kick time" before you hit the peg and so you need to make the most of it. Good luck.

Thanks for the info!!   I gave it a quick try tonight and it kicked over in about 4 kicks.  Hardest thing is getting a full strong kick each time (not those short little choppy kicks).

I will do the 2nd gear trick next - thank you.  Love the bike, the starting thing is a bit of a pain however - LOL

6 hours ago, oni nou said:

Check the compression is good check all the electrical connections are good and clean the carb out/check the conditions of gaskets etc etc reed petals and make sure it is all correct to give you the best possible chance of it starting ........Technique is as Faussy said and no throttle with full choke when cold and possibly use the choke when it will not start hot.... but you have to shut it off as soon as it starts or it will burble and stall.

Do you happen to know what the compression readings should be for the machine?

Without a doubt its technique, I dont know why but it is. Faster the better. Mine starts first or second kick 95% of the time and always first or second when cold with choke. Never move to tdc just kick hard and fast so yes up on pegs is good.

What year bike is it?

A buddy uses the technique described by D2W and usually rocks it front to back 2-3 times to get a good prime in the cylinder then it lights first kick.  With practice you will learn how many rocking motions your bike likes. 

When you do kick,make sure to get the kick lever at the top of it's stroke, then push slowly to get any slack out of the gears, then a quick SNAP of a kick.  Seriously, if you don't take the slack out first, you will be replacing the gear segment and/or the clutch basket when the teeth snap off. 

Thanks everyone.   Well went out and kicked away today and got it fired up.  Rode for a while and while the power is good I did notice the fan did not kick on.  Went back and checked the fan (+12V) and it worked fine.  Didn't see any drool from the radiator so maybe just not run hard enough to get the fan turned on as I don't run it hard.

I did check the compression before I took it out and it seems low 80-90psi.  Cant find an online reference for what it exactly should  exactly be but judging by One  Nou statement it seems kind of low.  May need to call a dealer and see if they will give me the exact #'s.  Seems to have pretty good power but seeing i never rode one before I have no reference to go off of.  Maybe part of the hard start problem however.....  Also noticed the exhaust is a little oilly after shut down (Running 70:1)..... 

Oil out the exhaust is normal. Run it 80:1, but how much drool you see will come down to how well jetted the bike is, how hard you run it, and what premix you run.

The best way to start it from cold is to turn on the gas and lay the bike on the ground until fuel starts to spill out the vent line. Pick it back up and it should start 1st or 2nd kick.

As for the fan, generally they kick on pretty quickly, especially if it's at all warm. No idea where you are, but here it's presently in the high 20's, and the fan on mine will start running within 5 minutes or so. That's just with the bike idling. 

You already know the fan works direct from a 12 volt power source so there are really only 3 other possible faults: 1) bad thermo switch. 2) bad stator (unlikely on that bike) 3) Bad electrical connection or ground.

Generally the fan will come on and off while riding, even easy riding.  What some people call the thermostat in the radiator is actually a thermo switch that turns the electric power to the fan motor on and off.  

I would start by simply unplugging the wires from the thermo switch and jumper the wires in the harness together then start the bike.  The fan should come on immediately when the bike starts.  If it does, you know the stator, and wiring are OK and the switch is bad.  Remove the jumper and the fan will not run even with the bike running.   Don’t worry, you are only talking 12 volts and low amps so no risk of serious shock.

The proper way to test that switch is to remove it from the bike, connect to an ohmmeter or battery and light bulb, then put the switch in water.  Cool water the switch should be open (off).  Heat the water and the switch should click on when the water gets close to boiling. 

awesome info - thanks!!!

A few update - nope didn't have the throttle open....  My bad.  Tried it with the throttle open and hit 120psi so figure thats a good sign!

Today I went over twisted the throttle open, then closed quickly.   Put on choke, lean on wall, second sharp kick fired right up.   Tried it again later this evening after mowing grass and same thing, fired right up!!!  victory!

Still seems like it maybe jetted a bit rich but not overly worried about that.  Next is the thermo switch..

Where exactly is that located on a 07?   Thinking the top radiator line connection perhaps?

Thanks again everyone