Gas Gas TXT Pro 250 questions

code54

Another quick question - on the handlebars  - what is the standard size (28.6mm I noticed a few places).  I want to replace mine and was not sure what size I need to order and they type of clamps needed? ) Mine look really crappy.

Oni Nou is correct about ensuring a ”Trials Bend.”  A clarification on another point.  Traditionally, motorcycle bars are at 7/8” diameter for their entire length of the bars. 

In recent years, companies have made “Fat Bars” that are 7/8” at both ends to be useable with existing lever perches and throttle tube, but they taper top fatter diameter at the point where they mount to the triple clamps.  I am not sure, but I think the fat section is 1 1/8” diameter.  I have never had fat bars so can’t make any personal comments.  People have said that they significantly reduce the shock to the arms, reducing fatigue and arm pump.   So, check your current bars.  If they are the same diameter, end to end you have a choice.  Buy a new set with same bend and diameter, or upgrade the clamps on the upper triple clamp to fit the “Fat Bars.”

If the bike already has the “Fat Bar” clamps you need to replace with new “Fat bars” or you need to change the clamps to the smaller diameter bars. 

But before you go changing bars.  How tall are you?  Stock bars generally work OK for people from 5’ 4”to 6’.  If you are taller or shorter, you might want a different “rise”.   Most people find the standard trials riding position is with your shoulders lower and the butt more “out” than other bike riding. 

Also, most trials bars are aluminum.  Some time with a “scotch-brite pad or emery cloth will put a nice “brushed” finish on the bars with little effort.  You could even go to a “chrome like” finish with proper polishing compound and wheels.  While you have the bars off, inspect them carefully for any cracking  by the clamps.

Edited by thats_a_five