Fantic 241 oil leak from Gearbox

Julian Taff

So i'm guessing my engine number is 010171  and also I need a 450 plate on the gear box cover?

It there a technical name for a gearbox cover? The case that covers th gear box which has 11 allen bolts holding it on, as I'm going to try and get the correct one if I can with the right plate on it.

And where would the frame number be so I can find out if it is matching the engine?

I have also been told to use the cheapest ATF possible n the gear box from the person i bought it from... However, the gear change isn't always smooth and found it a bit notchy, so would i be better using a light gear oil instead? If so which brand and grade would be best. I have read putolene 75w might be a good one... so many different things I am reading on the net i don;t know what to use now.

Thank you for all your help so far i do appreciate it.

Cheers Julian

Edited by Julian Taff

I've always called it a clutch cover, not sure if that the correct terminology. 

If you find a cover for an FM450 with a good sight glass it would save you fitting a new one to yours. Two birds, one stone! 

I've never seen a Fantic with matching engine a chassis numbers. I'd imagine the engines and frames were stamped separately in different parts of the factory and brought together for assembly. Frame number is on the headstock tube. 

As for gear oil you'll get lots of different advice and the truth is they're all probably right. ATF is favored by many as is specifically designed light gear oil. I have used both as well as 0w30 and 5w30 engine oil, all worked fine. You will need to change at regular intervals so you'll get plenty of chance to experiment for yourself.

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply.. I think I will try and get a whole cover with eye glass save me fiddling about..going to have a go of doing it myself as need to learn these things.. 

Thanks to everyone for your input.. I will let you know when I've got it sorted.

Cheers Julian 

46 minutes ago, oni nou said:

For your engine identification plate get in touch with Cambstrials as quick as you can as he has new plates available [very limited stock] and states [On Ebuy]that he has a 450 plate to fit the 403 sidecasing

Thank You, I contacted him this morning and he told me he sold the last 2 last night on facebook and won't be getting anymore... so trying to locate a decent 450 cover now.. But thank you for letting me know.

• 2 years later...