Question of which i don`t expect a correct answer too

bisby

This is a photo of me on my uncle Richards bike,(1968 to 1970) can anyone have a guess as to what the machine was?

We had my his funeral on tuesday 11th July 2017, he was a biker all his life, without him and my dad  i don`t think i would be riding a motorbike today.

Steve Bisby.

20170629_201648.jpg

• Like 2

Is that an attached sidecar under the sheet if so it must have been at least 350cc but likely bigger, appears to have a single down tube frame but not much else to go on. It should be you telling us what it was surely?

Edited by trialsrfun

Up to now all i have is this photo, i wondered if could be a sidecar? Would you have clip on handlebars on a sidecar??

Also clip on racey bars on a small cc bike? so 350 or 500 is more what i would expect.

My mum and me think i was about 3 or 4 years old and my uncle was 15 when i was born.  I do remember looking at two old scooters under water proof sheets behind the garage (long since gone) so maybe he had one of those parked up next to his sports bike.

Charlie, the car in the background was my dads Renault 4.

One of my memories about my uncle Richard was i got oily hands from his bike and he washed my hands with this bright green slime in a jam jar and i have never forgotten the smell of swarfega. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bisby said:

Doc46,

I had to google shuttleworth snap,  Made me smile.   Steve.

Bisby in real life George Formby was a motorcycle enthusiast and I believe rode Norton, in the film he called himself George Shuttleworth which is why the bike he supposedly built was called the Shuttleworth Snap, I think it was built around a Triumph Model P. The race bikes doing the most winning around that time were the Marston Sunbeam so Sunbeam became Rainbow in the movie.

Charlie on second look the forks are Triumph like so a pre-unit twin from Triumph it could well be?

• Like 1

Don't think it's a sidecar under that sheet, there's no nose on it, just something high up. Any sidecar even with a screen would have an outline that was nose first surely ? 

The frame looks to be a light colour, quite unusual if standard . Can only think of light blue, green or beige ?

Bsa or Triumph twin is my guess, looks like he needs a longer clutch cable though !

edit to add - single downtube rules out Bsa twin, could be anything !

Edited by brian0304
  • Like 1