Hello All, Looking to Get into the sport

brianreed62

Hi everyone, new to the forum here and excited about my first post. I am looking at buying my first trials bike and getting into the sport. I am a relatively skilled enduro rider but I'm looking to take my technical riding to the next level. I live in the states and trials bikes are pretty rare around where I live. I managed to find a 2003 Gas Gas TXT Pro 280 that looks to be in decent shape. I was curious on everyone's thoughts as far as the overall condition of the bike and what I should look for if I go check out the bike in person, or whether this is one of those models that I should stay away from. The owner specified new rear brakes, brake fluid, fork seals and fluid, and that the carb is clean. The only flag raised in my mind was that there was no mention of the rear shock but I could be overthinking the matter. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

I live in PA. The problem with a purchase and delivery would be my budget. This is the only available bike in my area within my suitable price range. I'm looking for a decent bike but something I wouldn't mind slightly damaging within the learning process.

I have a 2003 pro 300, i love my bike.

This 280 does look a little rough, but like you said you will be learning and will crash so looks are not as important.

just looking at pics of the bike the front tire needs replacing and that front rim is in need of replacing.

Offer lower price to compensate for the need to replace the front rim.  Fork seals look good,

A bike of this vintage will most likely look rough, so the big kicker is how does it function.

Start it up and listen to how it sounds, ride it around a bit.  check the rear suspension linkage for large amount of play, the dogbones take quite a beating getting hit on obstacles (small design flaw).  Listen for weird sounds (squeaks, creaks, metal grinding, etc.).

Look at the lower rear motor mount and look for cracks in the case and the brackets on the frame.  If that bolt was loose for a long period of time either of those could break. Frame can be welded and made stronger, broken case is a bad deal.

But if she runs strong, and frame, etc.. are good shape, and the price is right for you.  snap it up and have fun.

Just my 2 cents.

Gotta agree with Zippy on this one.  Looks like it has been ridden and could use some love.  Bent rim might be repairable if you are skilled with a torch and press or even a mallet.  If you ride serious enduro you probably have experience with this sort of damage.  Worst case if you try to repair is that you crack it and need to replace the rim restring the spokes.  Not uncommon for spoke nipples to have corroded and seized to the spokes and you need a new set of spokes and the skill to restring the wheel.

Take a look into the sight glass by the kicker. If it is milky, there is water getting into the trans fluid.  Common cause is failure of water pump seal.  Easy fix, just do the seal and shaft at the same time. 

There are 2 throttle tubes available, fast is black plastic, slow is white plastic.  Pull the grip away a little and you can see which is installed.  If the bike is too “quirky and twirky” you might want to use the slower throttle tube. 

Hard to see in the picture but looks like the tip is broken from the clutch lever.  Get a spare set of levers.  You will need them. 

Ride it and have fun.  Be advised that many of the things you learned to help you go fast will need to be un-learned so you can go slow.   Most important: Have fun.

• Like 1

when I bought mine about 4 yrs ago both of my rims had cracks in the vertical bit.  I took them to a skilled welder.

He ground a bit out and welded it up.  He smoothed the inside surface but at my request left the outside with the weld built up.  my theory was keep it stronger.

No problem with the front rim as of yet.  the rear rim has held up fine.  the rear hub not so much.

DEzBtpWVoAEyaRq.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the responses everyone. I was unable to agree on a price that I felt that the bike was worth with the seller, luckily another bike surfaced and I got a great deal on it. I ended up buying a 2006 Scorpa SY250 and couldn't be happier about it. It came equipped with brand new fenders, fork seals, and domino slow turn throttle tube. Not to mention it is in much better shape than the GasGas. I immediately knew I wanted the bike the minute I test rode it. Extremely siked about getting into the trials game! :D

• Like 2