Newbie to Sherco

sean65

Hi all. I have just bought a Sherco 125 for my girls to start trialing. As one would expect I have a couple of queries from my new purchase, which will hopefully be quick fixes.
Firstly, the year. the frame number has 125 near the start and 2008 at the end. Does the latter mean it is 2008 model o a coincidence?
Also, I can't get the clutch to disengage the gears which wont be helpful if my girls are learning to ride. I know the bike has stood a while, so could a warm up and run through the gears help, and maybe a change of oil. I use putoline in my Gas Gas so could this be an option? Quantity?
Sorry to ask so many questions straight off but I have told the girls we can take it for a ride at the weekend and don't want them disappointed if we can't. Three girls....can yo imagine the grief? :D

The sticking clutch is a common problem especially with one that has been stood awhile. One Sherco 125 we got for my wife had the problem which when warmed up gradually get better. I used to start it up, jump on, then kick it into gear while holding the front and rear brakes on it would eventually free up. AN oil change may help if it has been stood for a time. The discs get sticky and this is what causes the drag.

Edited by johnsandywhite

Thanks. This is what I am hoping, that the plates are just dragging. My Gas Gas does it a bit. However, not being riders at all I have images of my girls heading off down the field holding onto the bike. Not the best start.:o

12 minutes ago, cascao said:

My stick clutch solution is:

Before starting the bike, put it in 5th gear, pull clutch sit on bike and push/pull bike. It will free. Than you can start it and ride.

And if that doesn't work, start the bike,  put into gear (it'll lurch forward), hold the clutch lever in and accelerate through the gears until the clutch frees off. If you reach fifth with no change, try some sharp accelerations or uphill runs to put a bit more load through the clutch. I once had to do a good five minutes of this with a Sherco after a lay-off of several weeks but it freed eventually.

Hi, you may need to do some work on the clutch to overcome the problem. There's a detailed post, I think in the Beta section, on how and why to rework or replace the clutch plates. 

I followed this for my 125 2007, and had a clutch to die for. I even did the work suggested on a set of new plates, worked fantastic. It used to be easy to find.

cheers Taff

18 hours ago, cascao said:

Before starting the bike, put it in 5th gear, pull clutch sit on bike and push/pull bike. It will free. Than you can start it and ride.

Yep that's the old way and do it with my TYZ every time I ride it 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:23 AM, cascao said:

Allways do this! Standard practice on these and others.

It certainly seemed to improve the more the bike was ridden, thanks. The little 125 is a sweet little motor. The down side of the day is my daughter's boyfriend broke my Gas Gas.  Exhaust and parts including plastic. :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

The clutch on my 2014 Sherco was really good.  No issues at all.  However, recently it has started to drag.   I have started it and left it to warm up for a few minutes.  Then I have pulled the clutch in and selected first.  It has leaped forward.  

I have changed the clutch fluid.  So I am thinking that either something/s have worn, or the clutch plates have swelled or warped.

I am going to investigate tomorrow.  I will also do the Beta clutch fix and see if that helps.