yamaha ty 250 mono rebuilds

thai-ty

In February 2016 i spotted an ad on the net, about a day's drive away for a set of 4 (four) Japan market 1984 ty250 monos plus spares. Had to borrow a pick up and drive there and bring them back. Paid about £820 for the lot. 3 S models and 1 R model, one even a decent runner, and useful spares inc a 5th motor. 3 steel tanks, 1 plastic tank and a majority of the plastics turned to dust. Amazing what UV does...

2.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by thai-ty
  • Like 2

Back home decided what was what. What was good and bad. Got a second one running and rode around a bit last year deciding what the bikes needed.

Was'nt going to be cheap, modify, make, paint, and buy two of everything...

My idea was to build two nice ones from the four, both identical bar the paint jobs, and so i'd have 2 bikes, one of which my son could learn on with me. And a bunch of spares left over.

phone photos to April 2017 179.jpgphone photos to April 2017 210.jpg

• Like 3

So checking stuff out, i've got 2 slightly pitted prs of useable forks, dimensionally on size, one pair that look great but are well under size and decoratively rechromed (damn) and a pair that need a full on regrind, re hard chrome and ground to size (UK suitcase job). A good nice quite motor, a rattley motor, turns out a wobbly s/end bearing, but running a 16mm pin (stock 18mm) in a std bearing with a 1mm hardened sleeve. Piston is identical in every way inc the 2 windows EXCEPT pin hole size. Weird. And 3 spare motors with no pistons in them , conrod flapping about in the bore....

Also got 3 nice new fibreglass made in Chang Mai Thailand rear mudguards.

2 pairs of good wheels, i pair useable, and 3 corroded to hell, plu a couple of hubs and brake plates.

phone photos to April 2017 211.jpg

I would have liked 2 plastic tanks, then i could of bought two of Paul's Shedworks shelters. But i only had one, so it was steel tanks (at least i can get them painted...) and seat bases. Guy in Chang Mai has a very well known fibre glass shop, makes anything from a sample. I got quoted £20 for a mold and £15 thereafter per seat base. Not bad. I already had 3 of his rear mudguards and one front. After mucho work with a bunch of body filler i was able to salvage two seat bases from four. The other 2 were scrap. As was a bunch of std Yamaha 30 odd y/o plastics.

Went to the UK for a couple of months in Oct/Nov 2016 with a big shopping list, two of everything.

6" Renthals, Talon front and rear sprockets, air filters, s/s cover screws, s/s reed valve screws, s/s float bowl screws, gaskets, fork seals, fork bushes top and bottom, chain tensioner pads, 1 x chainguard, modern wider footrests and weld on brkts, etc etc.

Bought from BVM Moto, In Motion, Yam Bits and Ty Trials. Would have liked to buy most from John @Ty Trials, but he was in the middle of his nightmare shop move at this time.

I love the fact that you can get stuff for these bikes, genuine or remade aftermarket, easier in a lot of cases than more modern stuff. Brilliant.

Try getting a 15 y/o Beta m/guard....

33 y/o Yamaha - no problemo...

You can pick up a tatty mono in running condition for an average price of £600, generally being used as a trail bike on the islands. About one a year shows up on the ads. A couple of Honda TL's and TLR's occasionally show up, priced around £850, and every year i see a couple of modern trials bikes advertised, 8, 10, 12 y/o Gas Gas, Shercos, Betas for around £3k for a shiny tidy one.

I bought these 4 from a very nice, knowledgeable Belgium guy, they were the very last of his 2 strokes from his quite unbelievable collection.The nicer ty 250 monos he'd sold individually over the years to his local friends. He still had well over a dozen various Hondas which he was slowly whittling down.

When i bought the bikes i also bought 4 new tyres and tubes off the guy, 2 Vee Rubber rears, and a couple of Siam unheard of brand fronts. But the price was right. Difficult to get trials tyres over here. The VEE Rubber rears look nice tyres and seem pliable and soft.

Back in Thailand i'd bought new 520 chain, a big bag of stainless fasteners for all the easy replaceable bolts, nuts and washers for £35, a couple of very nice throttle sets i'd used before, sort of medium action. Complete throttle housing made out of alloy, nice bearing, lovely pair of grips and a custom cable where you solder the carb slide end on. Nice bits of kit for, er, £6 each, A couple of RXZ Yamaha petrol taps, identical to ty, bar they are handed wrong, ie spigot faces the wrong way, but at £2 each i'm not complaining. Bought 4 new forged h/bar levers to suit the stock Yamaha perches for about a £1 quid each, 15 minutes with a file and they fit perfectly. Bought two s/arm chain protector rubbers off some Grom type thing for another £1 quid each, a bit of time with a Stanley knife and they fit well, and i had most of the parts there, bar a monthly order abroad for stuff over a 4 month period of time.

I will not use couriers (DHL, Fed Ex, UPS et al) as they are just complete rip off thieves this end when it comes to import tax and customs. Get a bad one and it can be 100% mark up or more on the value of the goods. UK, and US postal services, registered, fine, no problems, still pay tax, but it's acceptable. If the parcel can be kept below 2 kgs in weight, then postage is very reasonable.

So it was Boyesen reeds direct from Boyesen in the States, and a couple of DEP alloy silencers from Sammy miller Products and some clutch and brake cables from TY trials.

So it was time to strip the bikes out. I'd decided to use 2 of the S frames and copy all the lack of brackets off the one R type frame i had.

First job was cut the stock footrest mounts off and throw the narrow stock pegs in the bin. Metaphorically speaking....

Bought some 8mm thick plate, made my cardboard templates, shaped said plates, drilled and tapped, for my modified stock clevis and mig welded them pretty much straight down, maybe 1/4" back, not more. I reckon they are 1.5 - 1.75" down from stock, but still above the sump guard / bash plate. Clevis are held on by 8mm HT c'sunk screws thru the brkts, no welding. So far, held up well, and easily repairable.

I'm a lanky bar steward at 6' 3", and before it felt like i was riding on the bike rather than in the bike, that little difference in height made such a difference to me, they are also twice as wide and much more comfortable.

phone photos to April 2017 263.jpgphone photos to April 2017 264.jpgphone photos to April 2017 266.jpgphone photos to April 2017 265.jpg

So i'd put weight back on with those 8mm thick footpeg brackets, now it was time to get out the hacksaw and 4" angle grinder with cutting discs and remove some weight.

Below is everything chopped off two frames including two steering locks.... Two S frames are now identical to my one R frame (bar one small flat bracket that locates the front of the airbox).

phone photos to April 2017 271.jpg

Been late posting. Life, farm, rainy season got in the way...

I'd already decided the colours and paint jobs. The two bikes were to be called 'Ol Yeller and 'Ol Blu. Both just had to have trad Yamaha Speed Block decals.

'Ol Yeller was straight forward, yellow cycle parts with black rolling chassis.

'Ol Blu was initially going to be a silver rolling chassis with a pale, sky blue type cycle parts, early ty250 twinshocks in the States and early DT series bikes had this colour. But i realized there was not enough contrast there, so after trawling the net looking at 70's-80's trials bikes, i realized i love that late Bultaco blue with a white chassis. 'Ol blu would be my Yamaha homeage to the old Buls.

Went to see my painter man, lovely old boy, Mr. Udom who runs an auto body repair/paint shop in town. He has two sons, both mad for it 2 stroke drag bike racers. One works for him, the other has his own paint, body repair shop dealing purely in insurance work. Mr Udom does all the private stuff.
We agreed a price of 4000 Thai baht for each bike, 4 colours, 8000 Baht in total. Equates to around £185 total at the current crappy rate of exchange. We agreed one colour a week, spread over 4 weeks so as not to confuse him, and allow his other work to continue.

Oh.

was just about to post 4 more photos, but apparently, i have used up 89% of my attachment allowance. So, at the mo, no more pics of the rebuilds. in which case not a lot of point with any more descriptions...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

Would your man in Chang Mai be able to make the mudguards in white to save getting them painted?

I'd be interested in getting a front & rear pair made if so - do you know what they'd cost (plus cost of freight to Western Australia?)

Cheers, Andy

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:16 PM, pbear62 said:

Hi there,

Would your man in Chang Mai be able to make the mudguards in white to save getting them painted?

I'd be interested in getting a front & rear pair made if so - do you know what they'd cost (plus cost of freight to Western Australia?)

Cheers, Andy

Hi Andy,

these days he is extremely busy and can pick and choose his jobs, unlike a few years ago, so in short, no.

They come in an army type olive drab colour from the moulds and recquire some filling and prep work prior to painting, cost approx. A$ 52 each so not particularly cheap. These came free with the bikes, if (when) I had (have) to buy new again i'd just buy new plastic mudguards in the UK, readily available, ready to bolt on for 60 odd quid. Less with the VAT. Front and rears are still available.

Regards,

Mike.