Hakan Carlqvist R.I.P.

scot taco

It was a sad day when he passed away a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps one of the hardest racers of all time, certainly among mx champions. Pain was never an issue, even when he should have stayed away from going for another win. That's the way heroes are made, but often there is a price to pay later in life.

He left Sweden long ago, for the comfortable climate in France for a used body, but also out of reach for everyone. Death by natural causes is almost like a joke for such an ironman, but that's the way it is. We never know when and where it's time to leave and perhaps that's the real mystery of life for us all.

• Like 4

Massive respect for the last post, you are so right! I remember watching him back in the day at Hawkstone Park in the UK when Motocross was not the outdoor Supercross it is today. A proper "hard man" of the old school.......vila i frid Carla.     

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dadof2 said:

I think it was Namur where he was so far ahead he had time to pull in for a beer. How time flies

I think it's a bit of urban myth but I thought it surrounded home Belgian rider Roger De Coster and the Citadel circuit at Namur and not Carlqvist 

EDIT - corrected by posts below. 

Edited by johnnyboxer

45 minutes ago, tony27 said:

Have definitely seen a photo of him having the beer online in the days after his passing 

There's plenty of footage of the beer stop on YouTube, definitely Carla at Namur. It was his brother who handed it to him. 

• Like 1

1988 was his last year as an international. Eric Geboers won the title at Namur, but Carla stole the show by winning the races and having that classic beer on the last lap. In a way, a little sad to be remembered for such a show...... but it was another world 30 years ago.

• 10 months later...