Really difficult to kick TXT 250

bigpie

Hi,

I'm finding my 98 TXT 250 really difficult to kick, as in the lever doesn't want to move easily. It usually starts fine once I've managed to balance enough to stand right up and put my whole body weight on it and not slip off. It's not difficult to do with the spark plug out. My brother's Beta I can easily kick even though it is on the left.

Any clues on where I should be looking?

Thanks

If this isn't a new problem for you with this bike, I'd say it's just a combination of the kickstart lever position and angle, and the engine compression, making a strong stab on the lever necessary which you are finding difficult. My bike is similar, in that others find it awkward to start, but I can jump on it and start it straight away due to practice and learning the best angle to use with my leg to impart the necessary quick jab. If you're short in the leg, it might help to put your left foot on a suitable rock or lump in the ground to give you more leverage as you get used to the technique.

First bike, so I've not a lot to compare to, my brother has a similar age beta and that is easy to kick even though I'd say I'm right footed. He struggled on mine too, so much so that he was getting me to kick it for him.

Maybe I need to practise starting it more. I'll keep my eye out for someone else riding the same bike and challenge them to start it...

People are always surprised by the compression of a trials bike and to be honest I've never been able to properly start a GasGas. I suspect there is a big difference in the kick start ratio compared to my Beta. If it's running good and starts well then just ride it. 

I just went through the exact same thing - I was told a very easy solution that sounds a little odd but works great!

Lean the bike up against something so you can stand on both pegs without it falling over then stand on the BOTH pegs and get a good solid kick.  I was also having a problem but now mostly start with one, or two kicks without much effort.  It is all technique on these bikes.  

I do try and stand on both pegs, but balancing, which makes it very difficult. As pathetic as it sounds, I've taken the HT lead off the plug and every time I go in the garage I give it a few kicks to practice without annoying the neighbours.

Ok, the standing part is right but set the bike next to the wall, so it will stand on its own and THEN step up on it (the bike won't fall over as the wall is holding it it up) and now try kicking it over   You will be surprised how much easier it will be to start

Thanks, I'd best stop that then.

I've already learned the hard way about the ht lead voltage in my younger years, pulling the ht lead off a scoot the wouldn't stop when I took the key out.

I found having a wall, rock or tree to allow two feet on the pegs for a healthy kick is only part of the process,  the next part is, piston in the right place in the barrel and the kick start also in the right place to give the longest travel possible.  

Cheers Taff