Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

laird387a

Where's my ORRe?

9 posts in this topic

For all subscribers noticing there has been an unusually large time gap between the release of issue 55 and the next in line issue 56, I should explain that the production facility has been disturbed by a couple of significant factors.

Firstly my wife, Beryl, suffered several cerebrovascular episodes (used to be called strokes) and sadly succumbed to the final one after a thankfully brief stay in hospital.

In the midst of all the funeral arrangements and general upset my computer suffered a phishing attack - which resulted in a total disruption to my internet access precisely when I needed it most!

However all that is now water under the bridge, happily my belief that moving to a remote glen in the Scottish highlands would see us back where community spirit is alive and well proved to come up trumps and I have received fantastic support and help from all my neighbours, which has certainly eased the transition to solitary living for me.

But now it is time to buckle down and pound this keyboard to get the next issue out, hopefully by the start of August.

In the meantime if anybody sent me messages using deryk@orre.co.uk then I regret that I may well never have seen them - nor can I access that address any more, so please bear with and then use the email address on the first page of all future ORRe's.........

Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

I'm sure we're all happy to wait until you're ready to go ahead. It's great of you to think of us at all at such a time.

Looking forward to number 56 whenever it can be published, and many more I hope.

4 people like this

On 25/07/2017 at 1:40 PM, cleanorbust said:

I'm sure we're all happy to wait until you're ready to go ahead. It's great of you to think of us at all at such a time.

Looking forward to number 56 whenever it can be published, and many more I hope.

I have to admit being in a total quandary - it has now been a drastically long period since issue 55 went on line and yet nobody has queried me directly as to what the latest situation is - indeed I begin to feel that nobody particularly misses it.  With each issue taking a long while to research and gather the information together, not just for me but very much for my happy band of colleagues, followed by a minimum of sixty hours concentrated effort putting the pre-press version together it is not a task undertaken lightly - and I am beginning to feel a little like a busy fool...........

Coupled to that is the fact that when I publish a few snippets on Facebook, especially when I include some never before published photographs, I have a literal torrent of responses, some publicly posted for all to see but many others privately messaged with personal queries to resolve typically of the "have you any photos of my dad?" that often I am able to help with.........

Does this really mean that reading is old-fashioned, out of date, redundant?

Any thoughts, either posted here or to 'nu.orre@gmail.com' could mst likely help me decide which way to progress...........

I very much look forward to the ORRe issues but wouldn't dream of chasing the next issue as I understand how much work must go into them.

I think the response via Facebook v ORRe is to do with the audience, the type of people that use Facebook may not be the same as the ones that like to sit and ready a dedicated magazine. The ease  of commenting & PM on Facebook is also likely to encourage responses?

I would hate to see the end of the mag, I still enjoy flicking through the paper mags too.

1 person likes this

Agreed....

As is so often the case, fate has stepped in and thrown a wobbly to add to the confusion.

Last night my faithful Apple Mac, now twelve years old, decided enough was enough and promptly died. Fortunately I run a fairly comprehensive back-up system, so I have been able to copy some basics to my spare lap-top, but that does not have enough computing 'grunt' to do the full publishing - so that means upwards of a grand to replace the computer - and in my eightieth year do I really want all the hassle, I feel that the thirty or so pages of issue 56 that I have already completed might be the last..........

Fortunately I still have all my archives - so has anyone any ideas or suggestions?

Please, please give me your thoughts

On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 at 11:53 AM, laird387a said:

and yet nobody has queried me directly as to what the latest situation is - indeed I begin to feel that nobody particularly misses it.  

I would prefer to think that, given your post of the 25th ofJuly, people on this forum are not so crass as to be chasing you at a time of personal distress.

As to the laptop issue, perhaps one of the many who read TC would know of somebody disposing of a suitable machine because they are upgrading?

On 25/08/2017 at 1:41 PM, 2stroke4stroke said:

I would prefer to think that, given your post of the 25th ofJuly, people on this forum are not so crass as to be chasing you at a time of personal distress.

As to the laptop issue, perhaps one of the many who read TC would know of somebody disposing of a suitable machine because they are upgrading?

Thanks for the thought - but the real nub of the problem is that the cost of the necessary publishing software is punitive - and since I have been using the system for over twenty years, upgrading it many many times over the years and all that has gone with the failed apple mac.

I feel that I can still tell much of the history by posting details here  and that way get the information available to anybody interested - I'm not losing my interest in the sport - just the desire to spend as many hours getting it into the magazine or book format.  I have now discussed the situation with several of my colleagues - and provided Andy is happy, I reckon that's the way to go.

And I can still provide copies of most photographs from the archives if anybody is interested.

Well, the die is cast and the mold is set, as they say, I have tried several ways round the publishing problem - and none could give me the quality of results that I needed, so I have to finally admit defeat!