GasGas 280 Pro advice

dannybee

New to Trials and seen a 2006 txt280 pro at a good price and in good condition so the bike is perfect in that way but I've seen a few threads that say this bike is too much for a beginner?

I'll be learning the basics at pay and play sites, I've also seen post suggesting they can be calmed down for a newbie. I'm not new to bikes but starting from scratch with trials so would I be best off avoiding this bike ? I really do like it so please tell me I'll get used to it ?

Hi Danny, 

I was in the same boat (still am so to speak). I bought a GG280 2009 and was told that it was the 'pokiest' out of the lot of the GG range.  

I had never ridden any motorbikes before and the shop fitted a slow/soft throttle and away I went.  I could of fitted a flywheel weight to make it less responsive and easier but I have chosen to just ride it as it comes and its fine.  You will soon learn that the smallest of movements with the wrist will make a big output difference.  I would say buy it.  Plus like me, you'll have the added benefit that if you look after it then theres no reason why you'll have to buy another bike....ever.  Good luck and I hope you enjoy the sport!

ps. Go to a few local trials events and ask if theres any chance you do some figure 8's on their prized possessions so you can get a feel on different engines.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, uksg85 said:

Hi Danny, 

I was in the same boat (still am so to speak). I bought a GG280 2009 and was told that it was the 'pokiest' out of the lot of the GG range.  

I had never ridden any motorbikes before and the shop fitted a slow/soft throttle and away I went.  I could of fitted a flywheel weight to make it less responsive and easier but I have chosen to just ride it as it comes and its fine.  You will soon learn that the smallest of movements with the wrist will make a big output difference.  I would say buy it.  Plus like me, you'll have the added benefit that if you look after it then theres no reason why you'll have to buy another bike....ever.  Good luck and I hope you enjoy the sport!

ps. Go to a few local trials events and ask if theres any chance you do some figure 8's on their prized possessions so you can get a feel on different engines.

2 very different answers there then?

Interesting you say your managing with have never ridden a bike ! I've got a CBR600 road bike at moment but thinking about packing road riding in so need something with 2 wheels !

Not everyone adapts to trials riding the same. Modern bikes are all about clutch control. If you do not have it you are in for some exciting rides. It seems previous riding experience does little compared to athletic ability. Some take to it rigjt away and others struggle for years to get just a little better than when they started.Good luck and always make it fun.

• Like 2

How did people replace the duff main bearings in Betas and Shercos without splitting the cases? 

Ossa gearbox far more unreliable but to be fair the whole cluster pulled out of the side.

I'd suggest it's your point of view Lineaway but that's not the same thing as a fact.

I have had to split the cases an  equal number of times for the 03 GasGas 300 as I did with the 2000 Sherco 2.9 I owned before it.  In the same period of time.

but to be honest it would have been less for the GasGas except I misdiagnosed a bad rear wheel bearing as being a transmission problem, and one other time I replaced the crank seals but went on the cheap and did not replace the little O-ring under the spacer on the crank shaft.

So basically the Sherco had to be split more often for crank bearing failures than the GasGas for transmission.