Preparing for our first Trials event (Clubmans)

fdb

Hi all.

The wife and I are doing our first Trials event on 15 October.

We are practicing turns, ascents, descents and balance as much as we can, but are wondering if any of you have any tips on what else we should be doing in preparation.

Maybe riding over small logs or rocks or something to get used to it?

I'm not sure how one actually sharpen the skills of walking a section and planning lines, etc so any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 minute ago, oni nou said:

Search engine.........'Trials training techniques Youtube'   you will find all the information you need there.

Done that.

Have the Ryan Young training DVD too.

My question is more on what you guys feel from your experience the things are people should look at / think about / make sure they understand / practice in preparation for their first trials event.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oni nou said:

Practise staying on a chosen line over and over  while riding a section[ that you mark out yourself]. Picking and choosing a line to stay on in a section is the key to riding it without having to rethink your riding constantly while on the move......you need to practise memorising the section you will ride, every relevant rock and turn etc

Makes a lot of sense. Great advice.

Thanks!

On the day of the trial, carefully watch a few riders through each section before you make your attempt. Get a feel for where it's most grippy, what speed to use, what gear to be in by learning from others' efforts. Don't go for a clean on every section - use a well planned dab to get you round a tight turn to start with.

Use the queues at sections to have a chat with fellow riders, many will be glad to give you the benefit of their experience.

Try to keep up with the general flow of riders as you progress round the course - don't drift to the back of the entry as you'll feel extra stress if you get isolated.

Another quick tip:

When signing on, see the riding numbers of others riding your route through the sections. Have a chat to these guys and seek advice, most will want to help and encourage and many, I'm sure will walk you through the routes and advice you where you should go.

as you improve you can choose what advice you listen too according to your developing ability.

most importantly, enjoy yourselves........

Edited by jonboy883
  • Like 2

Watch 2 or 3 people ride your line in a Section, to make sure you can identify exactly where the front wheel needs to be; to get the rear wheel to get over/around any obstacles in the tighter turns. Have Fun and don't take this sport too seriously. Elbows out and hands loose on the bars. Look up to see where you want to go and don't fixate on what is just in front of your front wheel. Any time spent going as slow as you can in 1st gear (even in a paved driveway) will help you with the required balance to excel at MotoTrials.

Edited by wheelieman14

Thanks guys.

Some great advice here. We will do so.

More practice and drills ahead and we will try and focus on planning a line, and trying to stick to it. Maybe also ride a few self-setup sections to get a feel for all of this.

As said above, sticking with your fellow competitors is a must! Watching someone ride your line takes away 10 minutes of trying to work out where you are going. And when you watch a few riders you can work out which line you fancy the most. Dont ride first, but dont fall too far back you lose sight of the riders in your grade.

Also, if the event is muddy, be aware that on the second or third lap the ideal line may change.

And last but not least, dont get disheartened!!!! You may just be unlucky that the first event you go to could be a hard one, and next week could be easier and you would love it.

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

I'm guessing you may not have been to a trial yet? If that's the case, it might be good to go and spectate at one before your October event. Either way, you'll come away from your first trial understanding a lot more about the sport and, I'm sure, looking forward to the next one.

• 4 weeks later...

Some great advice here. I too, am in a similar boat, coming across from an enduro H&H background.

Trying to figure out how best to prepare for that first trial is a minefield... I guess some repetitive slow speed, first gear riding, combined with the suggestion of trying to stick to a particular line on a self-made 'course' is the way to go. 

With my first trial set for a week Sun, I better get started.