Bicycle Computer Speedometer

pmk

Since the Department of Motor Vehicles allowed me to get a street legal tag for my Resto Mod 73 OSSA MAR, it just seems correct to have a speedometer.

I do not have the wheel driven type that mounts to the fork leg.

I do have on hand an ICO Checkmate enduro computer, but consider it may be a bit cumbersome and is overkill on functions.

Considering using a bicycle computer.  Curious what brands and models others may have used.  Is it possible to use a wieless type, or will the ignition cause issues?

I have used several different types Currently use a Catseye Enduro on the Beta and Cub both are hard wired type not wireless type Did try a wireless one but not a success Tried another make but it would have to be reset after hitting a bump  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, chaser said:

Bought a new Beta a few months ago and a bicycle computer was supplied as part of the `road legal` kit.

Was the Beta a wired or wireless computer.  Do you recall what brand?

1 hour ago, naichuff said:

I have used several different types Currently use a Catseye Enduro on the Beta and Cub both are hard wired type not wireless type Did try a wireless one but not a success Tried another make but it would have to be reset after hitting a bump  

Just went through some mtb stuff I have.  Tried to install a wired Cateye.  Looks as though the movement of the brake cable will be too much for the wires.  

Do you have any photos you could share, of how you installed it on the Beta.

I used to run a wired one on my road bike , First attempt was a basic one which seemed fine but stopped working at 50mph so I scoured the net and swapped to a wired Sigma BC 5.12 from Halfords recommended by kit car owners and apparently good up to 200mph so you should be fine,

Easy to wire in use and setup. Unclips from cradle and has time and odo also tested with GPS and very accurate

Hope that helps

1 hour ago, pmk said:

Just went through some mtb stuff I have.  Tried to install a wired Cateye.  Looks as though the movement of the brake cable will be too much for the wires.  

Do you have any photos you could share, of how you installed it on the Beta.

Yes the cable is on the short side My speedo is fitted between the clamps on the handle bar brace The cub was mounted the same but it was lost when the rider went over the bars in a bog I had to replace it Try to fit the sender/magnet as high up the fork leg as possible   

4 hours ago, robido said:

I use a garmin edge GPS cycle computer.  no wires works great. Have two mounts so I can swap back to mtb easily. Got it on line cheap as new model had come out

That method makes it simple, though more expensive.  A very good option though.  I had a look at GPS bicycle computers, yes there are some lesser brands for less money.  Need to ask my bicycle friends if they have something no longer used.

4 hours ago, naichuff said:

Yes the cable is on the short side My speedo is fitted between the clamps on the handle bar brace The cub was mounted the same but it was lost when the rider went over the bars in a bog I had to replace it Try to fit the sender/magnet as high up the fork leg as possible   

I had mounted the computer I dug out of my bicycle stuff.  On the OSSA it needed to mount to the left of the left side bar mount.

In regards to the magnet and pickup, normally the gap must be pretty close for it to operate.  With the sensor nearer the top of the fork leg, how were you able to get the magnet close enough to work.

My current road bike Speedo over reads and I like to know how fast I am going accurately so I use a old mobile phone with a god Speedo app , Reacts surprising quickly but you have to keep charging it so the bicycle Speedo is the better fit and forgot method.