Exhaust box - benefits of refurbishing or getting a new one

drca

Smashed my exhaust muffler on my 2013 TXT today (well, that was the last stroke of a long abusing relationship I am having with it :blink:) so I am going to get a replacement.  I have a couple of questions:

• Are the aluminum muffler ends (to replace the plastic ones) worth it?  My concern is that to some extent the plastic one smashes on a big it and protects the mid pipe from damages.  So it's a $50 sacrificial part vs. $500 one!
  • The mid box can be refurbished, but that's a lot of work (cut, clean, repack, reweld) and too much downtime.  But... is it (refurbishing or getting a new one) worth it?  What's the impact on performance.  My bike is getting sluggish off the bottom, could be a lot of things tho (carb, rings, piston, pipe, etc...).

As always, thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers.

I think you are right about the plastic end cap being sacrificial , stick with the plastic. I've only replaced a middle box once, it made a massive difference but that bike had done lots of long distance events. 

I'd just take it down a track and burn any oil that may be clogging the baffle tube or packing off by having some sustained high rpm fun. Nothing to lose, well do it with the old cap just in case you set fire to the new one...

Just now, baldilocks said:

...just in case you set fire to the new one...

:blink: I am in California and here it's so hot and dry that we are not even allowed to joke about this type of things....

It's a common problem on the earlier pros, exhaust gets hot going along a road or big hill and melts, the alloy pipe then falls out. Later models,  2013 Raga onwards have the final pipe made out of stainless steel to stop this happening

3 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

It's a common problem on the earlier pros, exhaust gets hot going along a road or big hill and melts, the alloy pipe then falls out. Later models,  2013 Raga onwards have the final pipe made out of stainless steel to stop this happening

Final pipe?  I have a 2013 TXT Pro 250 and the mid pipe is aluminum with a plastic end cap and an aluminum insert at the end of the plastic end cap.  Then inside there is packing and an steel perforated tube going between the Al insert in teh end cap and the bottom of the mid pipe.  

What's different on later models?

45 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

The aluminium insert in the end of the plastic cap is made out of stainless steel on the later bikes. Everything else is the same 

I didn't know that.  Do you have a part number for that?