TY250A Wiring advice

johnnyjazz

hello friends, new here and just got 74 TY.  bit of a novice mechanic but feeling more confident as i progress.  received some great advice from 'feetupfun' about changing clutch camshaft oil seal which i did today and awesome result.  no more leak! thanks so much pal!

my next quest is getting it legal for the road in NYC.  it already has a title and is registered in NY so its just the inspection/MOT.

when i got it, the front headlight didn't have a bulb though the rear tail light worked and the stop light worked fine also.  However, after putting in a new front bulb (which works fine) the rear light doesn't work at all now.  also, the high beam/low beam switch seems reversed on the handlebars and the engine run/kill switch seems to be wired to the headlight. 

my question, is this a big fix and i should take the bike into a shop or is it something i could attempt myself?  i have a multi meter but no experience in this dept.  also whats the advice on a horn? is it better to wire one in now or can i use a bulb type?

i just got a great bike that had been in a man cave for 30 years (was on a farm in Philadelphia from new) and would love to bring it back to its former glory esp as i have managed to get it registered and titled in NY state..

i used to ride Ty250s when i was a kid learning in the 80's.  feels wonderful to be getting back into 'vtg trials'.  i think i must be the only person in NYC into trials but luckliy i can practice in a warehouse a friend has :)  really looking forward to getting the inspection sorted so i can ride to empty lots/construction sites/car parks and hone my skills!

sending best vibes to you all and any advice is really appreciated!!!

attached a few pics of bike.  thanks so much, johnny

00w0w_2m39OEdPKqh_600x450.jpg

00e0e_51q4Dj1BOYg_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

im afraid i dont know what the standard versus trail footpegs would be...

here is a pic of the pegs for you and maybe you can let me know!..

is that 'long trail' seat standard from back in the day or something that was added afterwards?

many thanks for everything, im learning so much here :)

20170814_120957.jpg